barf forth apocalyptica > Apocalypse World

Introducing: the Scrapper

<< < (3/4) > >>

Jeff Russell:
I really like where you're going with that, Bret. Hmmm, right now, locations are handled as threats, and thus have custom MC moves for their dangerousness. I don't want to dictate how that stuff gets handled too much.

Maybe something like this:

They'd be crazy to follow us in here: when you move through a dangerous or hazardous area in the wastes and you or a group you're leading act under fire due to the hazards of the area, you and everyone in the group get +1

I thought about switching it to roll+sharp, but I didn't want to be too cheezirific. I also feel like there's a more interesting way to get at what I did really basically there, but it's not coming to me right now.

lumpley:
I'd do that one like this:

They'd be crazy to follow us in here: you can roll+sharp to get the effects of going aggro, without going aggro. You and your enemy have to be in dangerous terrain, but you don't have to interact in any way. If your enemy forces your hand, the landscape counts as a weapon (2-harm ap far area).

-Vincent

benhimself:

--- Quote from: Jeff Russell on June 25, 2010, 01:49:05 PM --- I mean, I stole John Harper's scavenge in the ruins move wholesale.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Ariel:
Stats
Choose one set:
* Cool+1 Hard-1 Hot+0 Sharp+2 Weird+1
* Cool+1 Hard+1 Hot-1 Sharp+2 Weird+0
* Cool+1 Hard+1 Hot+0 Sharp+2 Weird-1
* Cool+2 Hard+0 Hot-1 Sharp+2 Weird-1

Basic Moves
You get all the basic moves (p72-74)

Moves

Pick 2:

Scavenger: when you search or scavenge, roll+sharp.
On a 10+, choose two and find an oddment worth 1-barter. On a
7–9, choose one and find an oddment worth 1-barter:
You find it quickly.
You find it with relatively little trouble
You find an item that is +1barter
You find an item that is +hi-tech
You find just the perfect thing

An eye for detail: you get +1sharp (sharp+3)

Jerry-rigged: when you try to fix something, roll+sharp. On a 10+, choose two and it'll work long enough to get to someone who knows what he's doing. On a 7-9, choose one and it'll probably make it to a savvyhead's shop:

* You fix it quickly.
* You don't cause more serious longer term problems with it.
* You don't need any help fixing it.
I think I saw that somewhere: when you search your pockets and rucksack for something, roll+sharp. It has to be something small enough to fit, and it can't be hi-tech. On a 10+, you happen to have just the thing, or close enough. On a 7–9, you happens to have something pretty close, but it might worse for wear. On a miss, you used to have just the thing, but it turns out that you traded it to somebody for something shiny.

They'd be crazy to follow us in here: you can roll+sharp to get the effects of going aggro, without going aggro. You and your enemy have to be in dangerous terrain, but you don't have to interact in any way. If your enemy forces your hand, the landscape counts as a weapon (2-harm ap far area).

Canny: when you roll to manipulate someone, roll+sharp instead of roll+hot.

Nomad Gear
Pick 2:

* Remote Detonator (hi-tech): With reasonable foresight or planing, any terrain is dangerous, the enemy is unaware and takes +1harm.
* Hideout: You have a secret dwelling out in the wastes (detail).
* Tricked out Sniper Rifle (3-harm +1harm at far ap hi-tech)
* Multitool: Pick an extra option for jerry-rigged.
* Stillsuit (fashion hi-tech) You're functionally self-sufficient; take +1 for rolls that involve landscape.
* Throat mic (hi-tech): Hold 1 per barter spent. Spend 1-hold: Call for back up or ambush (2-harm small 1-armor mobile).
And you get:

2 handy weapons
oddments worth 2-barter
fashion suitable to your look, including at your option a piece worth  1-armor.

Handy weapons (choose 2):
• .38 revolver (2-harm close reload loud)
• 9mm (2-harm close loud)
• big knife (2-harm hand)
• sawed-off (3-harm close reload messy)
• machete (3-harm hand messy)
• crowbar (2-harm hand messy)
• magnum (3-harm close reload loud)

Hx
Everyone introduces their characters by name, look and outlook.
Take your turn.
List the other characters’ names.
Go around again for Hx. On your turn, choose 1, 2, or all 3:
• One of them has spend a week or more out in the wastes with you. Tell that player Hx+2. 
• One of them thinks you're an idiot savage. Tell that player Hx-2. 

Tell everyone else Hx-1, by nature you're pretty cagey

On the others' turns:
• Whatever number they tell you, give it +1 and write it next to their character’s name. You survive by noticing small and important details.

At the end, find the character with the highest Hx on your sheet.
Ask that player which of your stats is most interesting, and
highlight it. The MC will have you highlight a second stat too.

Nomad Special
If you and another character have sex, they get 1-hold. They can spend it to have you right there, anytime.

Scrapper Improvement
__ get +1hard (max +2)
__ get +1cool (max +2)
__ get +1weird (max +2)
__ get a new scrapper move
__ get a new scrapper move
__ get a shop (workspace, detail) and crew
__ get 2 gigs (detail) and moonlighting
__ get a gang (detail) and pack alpha
__ get a move from another playbook
__ get a move from another playbook

Jeff Russell:
Vincent, thanks! That move is way better, and I'm not surprised.

Hahah, Ben, sorry, I didn't mean for my ruthless stealing to be improperly attributed ;)
(seriously, though, thanks, what a great move!)

Orly, that is sweet like candy! I really like what you've done there, especially the Nomad gear. The special move is cleaner than mine, but I feel like it it might keep the scrapper/nomad from trying to seduce anybody, since there's not an obvious upside on his end of the bargain. What about this:

If you and another character have sex, they get 1-hold. They can spend it to have you right there, anytime. When you get there, you have +1 forward.

I think dropping the armor was a good call, I just initially pictured this guy with all kinds of random scraps of junk metal attached to his clothes and cobbled together, but with the 'scout/guide' kind of thing that is turning out to be cooler, less armor makes more sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version