LE Playbooks in 2nd Ed

• 3 Replies
LE Playbooks in 2nd Ed
« on: January 20, 2019, 02:17:24 PM »
I started up a new campaign last night with my shiny 2nd edition hardback.  One of the players asked to play Hoarder and I was up for it, but when we got to Hx things got bumpy.  All the other players are using the new HX system, which doesn't involve them giving any numbers to the Hoarder, and then the Hoarder is giving numbers to everyone else they don't need.  Anyone got an idea how to bridge the gap?  Has this come up for you?  ( I imagine this affects other LE Playbooks from 1st ed)

Munin

Re: LE Playbooks in 2nd Ed
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 03:36:41 PM »
The fundamental difference in Hx between 1st Ed and 2nd Ed is that in 1st Ed you used to be able to straight up say stuff about other peoples' characters and make it true (like, "You left me bleeding and did nothing for me" or hilariously, "you are my lover"). Now you ask for people to step up to those roles. 2nd Ed also eliminates the step where you tell other people what your Hx with them is (and they use their options to change that), which means you are doing Hx in a single pass. In many cases, the switch is simply taking the options you had before and keeping them (though asking for volunteers now instead of just naming someone) and coming up with an Hx number that works for "everyone else."

Because of how the Hoarder's Hx is structured, you can't make as direct a port with this approach. But the key point about the Hoarder is, well, the hoard! Hx should be about that. As such, I might suggest something like the following:

Go around again for Hx. On your turn, ask either or both:
• Which one of you have I stolen something from to feed my hoard?
For that character, write Hx+1
• Which one of you once took something from my hoard and never gave it back?
For that character, write Hx+3
For everyone else, write Hx-1. Other peoples' motivations are less immediately materialistic, and this confuses you.

That gets across the essential weirdness of the Hoarder's (generally larcenous) relations with others. It also gives you as the MC the ability to ask all sorts of provocative questions about the circumstances of the above answers during character creation.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 06:39:02 PM »
Thanks Munin, that lines up well with my view.  I reported back to my group and we settled on something like your suggestion.  :)

Munin

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 07:17:13 PM »
Awesome! From an MC perspective, the Hoarder is one of my favorite 1E playbooks, hope your group has fun with it as well!