Author Topic: Prescriptive and Descriptive - holdings, wealth, leadership, and gangs  (Read 565 times)

Paul T.

• User
    • View Profile
I'm curious about people's experiences and "best practices" for when characters find themselves in charge of a holding or a gang.

When a player selects the appropriate improvement, I have no problem handling that - basically, assuming the fictional details are in place, we just conspire together to make the desired outcome happen, no problem.

But what about when a character maneuvers in the fiction so as to become the head of a gang or a holding? How do you handle it then?

Let's say the hardholder is dead, and a PC steps into his place. "I'm in charge here now!"

In your experience, what's the best timing and approach for "making it official"? Do you give the player the appropriate moves, wait for them to be paid with an Improvement, bank it in advance, or what? To what extent do you try to make the fiction and the moves coincide, if at all?

I can imagine a few different ways this could go, and I'd love to hear a) some examples of how it's gone in your games, and b) how you think it works best or should work.

Thank you!

Ebok

• User
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive and Descriptive - holdings, wealth, leadership, and gangs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 01:02:40 AM »
I've never had it happen without the player themselves making sure they had a suitable advancement coming.

Otherwise, I think I'd probably not give them moves for free. I mean maybe, but certainly not because the player said, I'm in charge now! I'd be like lol, okay. Sure. Then I would break the holding or gang into parts that begin to cannibalize itself. If the player is really serious, I might offer them the opportunity to change playbooks, but I'd probably just let them come up with that plan themselves.

Paul T.

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 11:10:17 PM »
That's been my experience, too.

However, I'm thinking about a scenario where various PCs are potentially in a position to "take over" the leadership of the holding or a gang (not too dissimilar to Sunken Sydney, perhaps) and that's got me thinking about what might be the best way to handle it.

Does anyone else have a different experience with this, either good or bad? What can we take away from that?

Paul T.

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »
No takers?

I'd love to hear how people have handled this, what went well, what didn't.

Maleficum

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 05:26:33 PM »

In your experience, what's the best timing and approach for "making it official"? Do you give the player the appropriate moves, wait for them to be paid with an Improvement, bank it in advance, or what? To what extent do you try to make the fiction and the moves coincide, if at all?

I can imagine a few different ways this could go, and I'd love to hear a) some examples of how it's gone in your games, and b) how you think it works best or should work.

A)  Well, the reverse was true for my Hardholder just now. As the Gunlugger and Skinner siblings wanted Vega and his daughter to come with them to Geiger Town (which from were they escaped a year before), the three f them convinced Vega to drop, and with the XP from not killing the "pet" (a freakin' click beast) and abondining the attempt to save his Hold(sfolk) he emerged from scavenging a basement ruin as a Battlebabe.

In another game I MC'ed the Hocus, who had abonded the cult as everyone abondened the hold (NPC Hardholder) and come back to see the cult in horrible practices, actually lost 4-5 XP in the firefight as she could not decide if she'd take over the hold (advance: change playbook to Hardholder) or to do the route (advance: chance playbook to Angel). It wasn't decided until as a "worse outcome" the child she was bearing (whom the player really wasn't that involved with) was lost (MC Move: "You feel blood running inside your thighs") and suddenly the player wanted to keep the child and advanced to Angel). As she raised herself to take in the battlefield I asked what Ember thought of the people running about: "I have nothing but contempt for these sheep, who will follow any lead but their own. I still have sympathy for humans as induviduals, though."

B)   I believe there's no real true way to do it, but I believe in making players (including myself) pay for upgrades. We once had a Hold were the Angel's Hardholder wife ended in a coma and noone really took command, but people would refer to the battle-hardened medic, and it was clear he was not able to do things as easy as if he'd have the Hardholder playbook.

I'm really a fan of having players put their XP were their mouth is, and there should be a fictional difference between a Hardholder hard+2 and a gunlugger hard+2 (or even hard+3), as Vincent talked about in the X/Y-axis of playbooks. (Some have lot's of personal power, others lot's of fictional positioning - and the Battlebabe flips the bird to establish the z-axis.)