Are histories exclusive for Player Characters?

• 5 Replies
Are histories exclusive for Player Characters?
« on: March 18, 2017, 11:24:03 PM »
Hi, there new member. I had this to ask:

In the description of the Session End move it says: "choose a character who knows you
better than they used to ..." but it doesn't specify it has to be PC characters.

Does it make sense to choose a NPC character and having them record histories with you? There's not alot of use for it seems. They can't use interfere or help since NPCs can't make rolls. They don't track XP.

Can you keep histories with them on your sheet .They don't participate in the End of Session move, so that would happen only if you heal of harm them.

Ebok

Re: Are histories exclusive for Player Characters?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 01:41:04 AM »
I've always liked the idea, but in practice (with multiple attempts) is has never worked out. Doing so is pointless because NPCs do not ever make rolls, and if they would be in the position to greatly benefit one of your moves or interfere with you, the MC has many means at their disposal so make that a meaning matter. Basically, choosing to do so deprives your game of the benefits of using Hx, and offers literally nothing in return.

No. Do not do this.

The purpose of Hx is multilayered, it rewards players interacting with each other, earning the +1 or the -1. It can signal to another player that your character is attempting to be more open to them, perhaps in some sort of quid pro quo. It allows one Player to notice with they've seriously offended another Player's character; ex: providing a negative number is signaling that they're starting to think they believe the other is more likely to act against them then with them, or to push them closer to 0 to hedge their bets. It is also a sort of negotiation around the table, for players to pick sides, help someone hit the next bit of exp if they want, reward players that actively make narrative progress with the others in the party. If no one made any progress with each other here or there, pick someone and pick up or down. DO not pick an NPC, that's like not picking at all, which is actually against the rules.

There is no status quo even amongst the Player characters.

In short, Hx can be a great many things to a great many groups. What it is first and foremost is a communication tool between PCs that rewards them getting to know or fighting against the others in the party. Make the most of it.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 02:35:53 AM »
I agree with Ebok.

From a more practical standpoint, if you're following the game's standard procedures, you won't have created any (or, at least, not many) NPCs yet when you're at the Hx stage of character creation. So, only PCs are possible choices.

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »
From a more practical standpoint, if you're following the game's standard procedures, you won't have created any (or, at least, not many) NPCs yet when you're at the Hx stage of character creation. So, only PCs are possible choices.

I'm more interested in the End of Session thing where you have to select another character and have them mark either +1 or -1.

Ebok

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 11:33:21 AM »
I knew that was going to be the response after Paul's post. However, I believe I answered that pretty clearly. He was just adding that when Hx starts, it's pretty clear that you are only writing down the Player characters. Those are the "characters" you are choosing from. Chracters for Hx are always the player characters.

Do Not Give Hx to NPCs.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 01:45:46 PM »
Yeah, Hx is for mechanically meaningful history between the characters, and given the difference between how PCs and NPCs work, giving them a Hx score simply doesn't make mechanical sense. You want NPCs to know you better? That's fine, but it's not a Hx score in the mechanical sense and treating it as such is a bad idea.