The Expert's Precise Strike

• 2 Replies
The Expert's Precise Strike
« on: October 23, 2016, 03:49:54 AM »
Hello all! I picked up MotW recently at the recommendation of a friend's friend, and am looking forward to running my first session Monday. Overall it's a really clear system (it probably helps that I have some experience with other PbtA games). However, there is one move whose wording I found a bit confusing- Precise Strike. It reads:

"When you inflict harm on a monster, you can aim for a weak spot. Roll +Tough. On a 10+ you inflict +2 harm. On a 7-9 you inflict 1 harm. On a miss, you leave yourself open to the monster"

So there are some situations where the move is pretty straightforward. Maybe the hunter is taking an easy shot where they typically could just inflict harm, if they choose to go for broke they can get some bonus harm in. Fair enough. But what about instances where another move is already in play, most notably  "Kick Some Ass"? Would you roll both back-to-back? Or is there something in the wording I'm missing?

Re: The Expert's Precise Strike
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 06:13:02 PM »
You would roll this after another move - note that the trigger is "when you inflict harm on a monster," which will often be when you just resolved a kick some ass move.

Re: The Expert's Precise Strike
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 04:14:30 PM »
Great! Thank you for the clarification.