Helping each other on Recover, Regroup & Prepare

• 4 Replies

Rafu

Helping each other on Recover, Regroup & Prepare
« on: September 18, 2016, 06:27:02 PM »
If another PC helps you, both of you roll, and both of you get the effect of the better roll.
So, if three or more PCs all Recover, Regroup & Prepare together, and one of them rolls a 10+, they each get to choose 3 options, separately and independently from each other?
In the moment, it would have made more sense to us if they had to choose just 3 between all of them, and they all got the benefits from all 3 choices... the same 3 choices. This way, if they chose to study the situation and make a plan, they'd all be studying the same situation and making a common plan. But then, one of them wanted to consult with a ghost tutor, and do it quickly, while the others didn't have any ghosts to consult with...

My point is: when three PCs all roll to Recover, Regroup & Prepare in the same situation, they sometimes get the overall net benefits of making a grand total of 9 choices from the move, all applicable to the same situation. OTOH, if I mitigate this by ruling that they all have to choose the same options, I'm effectively ruling out all skill-based options. Should I limit this to a maximum of 2 PCs rolling dice, instead?

Also, it was sometimes a little tricky to judge when two PCs were in a position to help each other with this, because it depended on whether they intended to choose "regroup with your allies" as an outcome. Specifically, when three PCs were all in different parts of the city and they wished to reunite, in  order to exchange information and make a plan, they all rolled +Patient as they were helping each other on the move - it made sense, because they were all trying to meet. Then (only) one of them picked "regroup with your allies" as a choice, and they got to benefit from 8 more choices between the three of them.

lumpley

Re: Helping each other on Recover, Regroup & Prepare
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 02:30:24 PM »
Yeah, so, as GM you have to handle this move a little.

Everybody chooses their own options. HOWEVER...

- If separated people helped each other, they committed to regrouping. Insist that they do.

- Anyone who wants to participate in making the plan has to choose to study the situation and make a plan with the others. Not choosing to, means that they make the plan without you.

- And I'm pretty sure that there are others similar.

The overall point being that each they get to choose their own, but you should be prepared to hold them to the tradeoffs and commitments they've made.

-Vincent

Rafu

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 09:49:29 AM »
Everybody chooses their own options. HOWEVER...

- If separated people helped each other, they committed to regrouping. Insist that they do.

- Anyone who wants to participate in making the plan has to choose to study the situation and make a plan with the others. Not choosing to, means that they make the plan without you.
OK, that makes perfect sense to me, thank you!
I think that's similar to how I handled it last Sunday, but it was less of an issue than the week before anyway, because only 2 players out of 4 had made it to the session. I'll have you know whether any more issues arise.

Rafu

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 07:30:23 PM »
I think I've gotten the hang of this and now it's working out fine.

lumpley

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 08:01:55 AM »
Great!

-Vincent