Community centric campaign with rotating cast?

• 4 Replies
Community centric campaign with rotating cast?
« on: March 02, 2016, 09:15:41 PM »
I was thinking about an idea I had of having a campaign centred around a community, but having the cast of Players change every so often. The community centric focus is to tie various PCs together while at the same time allowing them to have their own stories. You'd have a short story line that lasts a handful of sessions, the switch out a couple PCs for different players and characters, then pursue a different storyline in the same community. I was thinking Apocalypse World for this since it is fairly community centric and handles PvP conflict well. I was also considering The Quiet Year for creating the community and the initial conflicts.
It could give players who can't commit to a normal campaign but want more continuity than a one shot exactly what they need. It could also give noob GMs a chance to try out the role in a setting everyone is familiar with, AND possibly let Forever GMs take a break.

Has anyone ever tried something like this? Or had a large enough player base for it? Or just any thoughts on how this might work?

Re: Community centric campaign with rotating cast?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 03:13:35 AM »
Maybe we just need to create the "Barf forth Apocalyptica" oracle for In a Wicked Age.

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 08:08:56 AM »
Maybe we just need to create the "Barf forth Apocalyptica" oracle for In a Wicked Age.

Oh, I like this idea.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 09:01:40 AM »
It's been suggested before. (In response to this thread, for onehttp://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=363.msg3074#msg3074)

As for the original idea - The Quiet Year is great, that might be a good starting point. I think it would be interesting to see how well you can build an Apocalypse World set up and the push the characters into it, rather than letting the players build characters and building the setting around them.

Love Letters sounds like it might be the key to it all.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 11:09:43 AM »
Using Love Letters based on the events of The Quiet Year to insert the PCs is a very good idea!