[AP] Colonial Marines take on Mission: Boston

• 1 Replies
[AP] Colonial Marines take on Mission: Boston
« on: May 24, 2015, 09:30:13 AM »
One of my current games is an SF "anthology" of several short games with different characters in the same setting, and for the latest entry my players picked groundpounders over flyboys, so I decided to give Regiment: Colonial Marines a spin, especially after I found the amazing Mission:Boston writeup. I already had two major alliances at war and a conquered planet, what else did I need?

Playbooks chosen were Sergeant, Medic, schlaghund's Gunner, and doc_cthulhu's Sniper from Enemy Unknown. I rewrote the Sniper's special move to avoid overlap with the Officer. Final Shot: When you die, hold 1. Spend it when your comrades are in trouble to make one final Headshot at 10+.

I described how the fleet had entered the system under stealth and been speeding in for a week, tensely waiting to be detected…the alert and launch of the dropships through heavy fire…de-orbiting at top speed as the AA guns on the surface started up…when the ship took the hit I kicked the table to shake it up a bit. The Gunner froze up on being asked to make the jump, and the Sergeant had to assist him.

The platoon was pretty dismayed to wind up several clicks west of their LZ. The gunner lost his drop bag, the sniper took flak shots, and the Sergeant wrenched his knee on the landing. They sent the Sniper off to scout while they patched up the wounded and tried to gather other members of the platoon. The sniper spotted the enemy infantry squad heading north. Unfortunately for him, he blew his damn good ground roll.

Since he had taken up a position on the north side of a ridge, in a snowbank, I decided that he was in fact almost perfectly camoflaged, and a member of the enemy squad who was lagging behind came over the ridge and actually stepped on him, his cries of alarm alerting the others. The sniper used him as a human shield, and meanwhile the unwounded and mobile remnants of the unit were dropping their gear and springing towards the sounds of gunfire.

The Gunner had chosen the Incinerator loadout, and triggered his jump pack (since the platoon chose +mobility, I have them multi-use rocket packs instead of single- parachutelike drop packs) to land in the middle of the enemy squad. Between the terror tag and his rolls he scattered (or immolated) the entire unit.

Somewhere around this point, we located a typo: the timeline indicates that the mortar squad is at the crash site (E) instead of at (G).

In all the chaos, the Sergeant has decided that the plan is to commandeer the enemy armored hovercars at the airfield and use them to get back to the original mission, but there's too much fire from the infantry squads there. They decide to hole up in the building across the road, which has been turned into an enemy billet. While investigating they discover some locals, one of whom shoots in a panic, downing the NPC PFC who discovered him.

When we left off, the Gunner was at the entrance to the bunker waiting to light up anyone that comes near, the Sniper was setting up at the window to begin taking shots at the opposing infantry, the Medic was patching people up as best he could, and the Sergeant was trying to raise any other members of the platoon to rendezvous.

Re: [AP] Colonial Marines take on Mission: Boston
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 11:49:17 PM »
Any word on the rest of this? I think I might try something similar, even before outpost: epsilon (leave them guessing as when the Aliens show up).