Summoned monster vs a minion -- or a monster ...

• 4 Replies
Summoned monster vs a minion -- or a monster ...
« on: April 19, 2015, 05:30:35 PM »
Loving what I see in the game so far, but got a question.

In Use Magic you can summon a monster. There's a chance that players, being players, will want to use said monster to fight combat worthy minions or the monsters.

So far my thoughts on this are:
  • The "monster" becomes  a custom move like a Kick Ass move with a harm bonus.
  • It becomes a variant of the Help Out move
  • It becomes a secondary character the player controls with stats based on the results of the Use Magic roll.
  • The monster becomes a weapon, complete with tags for range, harm and something creative like "clawed" or "winged."

Any other suggestions? As a heads up, I'm not looking for suggestion on how to avoid the situation, but more of a list of ideas for a potential outcome.

Basically, I can see that my players will notice this particular corundum in the rules and try to bring the situation up to see what the answer would be.

Re: Summoned monster vs a minion -- or a monster ...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 08:51:07 PM »
It is important to notice that although you can summon a monster, there is no mention of controlling it.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 11:33:11 PM »
Respectfully, that wasn't the question I was asking.

Re:
As a heads up, I'm not looking for suggestions on how to avoid the situation ...

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 11:42:23 PM »
Any of your suggestions would work fine, if control isn't an issue.

If it came up for me, I'd most likely treat it as an ally or monster with it's own powers defined as usual.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 12:23:08 AM »
Cool. :)

Though I did eventually find Summon Monster in DW for some ideas on the "It becomes a secondary character the player controls with stats based on the results of the Use Magic roll." They don't initially mesh with my idea of what goes with MotW genres, but it's inspiration, none the less.