Tips for running a convention game

• 2 Replies
Tips for running a convention game
« on: April 17, 2015, 06:19:56 PM »
Hello all.

I'm sure there must be a thread like this, but I need help. This would be my first time running Monsterhearts at a con, so I'd like specific dos/don'ts ("This skin really doesn't work in con play... Try to run this kind of scene... Common pitfalls are... ")

I'm fairly experienced with running AW at a con, so I'm mostly concerned with knowing how to 'shift my gears', as it were.

Re: Tips for running a convention game
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 02:53:20 AM »
I would say the skins you allow depend on the number and nature of the players. For instance, I really have problems getting the Ghost going in ANY game, and I'd be loath to have a chosen in a one-shot.
Prep-wise, all I have are a list of names for when i draw a blank, and I do prep the same way I'd do it starting a campaign. Creating classmates and such are a great way to make players invest in NPC's.
Make it as feral as you absolutely can. have NPC's killed off left and right, make the worst happen.

Re: Tips for running a convention game
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 12:51:52 AM »
Sorry about my delayed response, I do appreciate the feedback!

I've only seen the Ghost played once, thought it worked rather okay (player decided my Fae was the only person who could see/hear him... I got into a lot of trouble that way, heh heh). As for my game, I guess I could have stood to ratchet up a body count, it was more Buffy than... I dunno, something with more dead bodies.

The seating chart works great, planting seeds of NPCs and triangles. I think to shake things up, I might have a game set at a summer camp - draw a map of the lakeshore or a few cabins, have everyone describe where they are, who they're hanging out (or snubbing), etc.