Setup Strike

• 3 Replies
Setup Strike
« on: January 22, 2015, 09:35:10 AM »
Hi everybody! I come from an Italian forum where a player asked a question about the Paladin move Setup Strike:

Setup Strike

When you hack and slash, choose an ally. Their next attack against your target does +1d4 damage.

It never happened to me during my games, and that’s why I’m asking here. The question is: if the Paladin does two or more hack and slash moves in series, does this +1d4 bonus stack together?

Re: Setup Strike
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 06:19:58 PM »
By the wording, no. I'll break it down.

When you hack and slash, choose an ally.
-Pretty straight forward. You hack and slash, then pick a party member.

Their next attack against your target does +1d4 damage.
-The highlighted parts are the important ones. Next attack implies that it is one attack.
-Obviously, the your target part implies that it has to be the same creature that you're fighting.

Now, if you're asking if the paladin were to make repeated attacks against a target before the person with the boon makes one, you're either running your game wrong or your players are trying to game the system. I don't believe this was intended to be a build-up buff. In most games, buffs like these are not stacked. I would say that if there were two paladins and a fighter, that the fighter could be named by each paladin, giving him +2d4 when he attacks the same creature that both of them are attacking, but having two of the same classes in Dungeon World is another bag of worms. I think that this is really up to the GM to decide. If your players are trying to do something cool and unique, let them, but if this is them trying to break the rules to a point where they're going to use this tactic every fight, make them suffer for trying to do that. For instance, an easy one would be that on a miss, give him an extra d6 of damage while using this super-charged attack.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 03:35:59 AM »
Thank you for your answer!

I asked this question on the “Dungeon World Tavern” too, and there I got a more varied answer (the last one is from Adam Koebel):

Quote from: Mike Pureka
My rule of thumb is "nothing stacks with itself unless it specifically says otherwise". So no.

Quote from: Tim Franzke
After two attacks from the Paladin the target is most likely dead.
But the name Setup Strike suggests it doesn't stack.

Quote from: Adam Koebel
Describe it in the narrative. Explain with your character how it does or doesn't stack.?

noclue

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 12:40:22 AM »
Describe it in the fiction is a good general rule of thumb. For me, it is hard for me to imagine a description that would make me stack advantages from setting up someone multiple times. If the ally doesn't take advantage of the setup, it would go away. But it's your call as GM in your game.
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER