Dark Sun

• 9 Replies
Dark Sun
« on: June 22, 2010, 09:43:21 AM »
Is anyone doing a hack based on the Dark Sun D&D campaign setting?

I'm considering giving a shot at this, but don't wanna duplicate work if someone else is designing it.

~Mike

Re: Dark Sun
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 02:14:07 PM »
I think I heard the idea mentioned in passing, either here or somewhere on Story Games, but I only remember it being a "this seems like a cool and obvious choice!"

I say go for it and ruthlessly steal from anyone else who comes up with bits you like better :)

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 03:36:27 PM »
I think I heard the idea mentioned in passing, either here or somewhere on Story Games, but I only remember it being a "this seems like a cool and obvious choice!"

I say go for it and ruthlessly steal from anyone else who comes up with bits you like better :)
Yeah, that was me, I think:
Quote from: Teataine @ Story Games
Oh, and, sorry for cluttering the thread, but talking to my friends online now the most obvious thing occured to me... Apocalypse World: Dark Sun. Postapocalypse, scarcity, psionics. It's a natural fit.

I don't really know shit about Dark Sun beyond having flipped through the original manual way back, but I think it would work great. Go for it!

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 05:08:05 PM »
Here's what I got: DarkSol - Dark Sun AW Hack

Right now, most of the stuff isn't necessarily unique. Just organized and flavored in a way to play AW with the Dark Sun setting. Most of the themes are just moving around the moves from the AW playbooks and liberally stealing from ideas here (don't worry guys, when I get closer to an actual playtest doc and set up a forum I'll research everyone's name and give credit where credit is due, for now I've got a generic thanks and inspiration disclaimer).

Thoughts/Comments/Suggestions/Feedback/Grammatical Errors/Etc... All welcome.

Thanks.

~Mike

Ariel

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 08:19:25 PM »
After a quick skim is appears to be AWESOME.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 08:39:37 PM »
Agreed. It's a fairly cosmetic hack, but it all seems to be serving the vision of Dark Sun very well. I like how it's presented, too. Makes me want to play.

Nice work.

Ariel

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 11:29:32 PM »
Cosmetic but the details are significant.

I really liked the "when you use sorcery to X, roll+y instead of +x."

It's implicit in the Brainer move that you're using your mind powers and not just being quirky and thus lovable. As such, if as a Brainer, you didn't want to use you mind powers on some one, like you wanted them to actually find you attractive, you'd still have to roll+hot and not +weird. I feel like that detail in other alt+stat moves is missed. That is to say that the stats aren't equivalent fictionally - what stat you use with for move is important and, in a way, generates an alternative move.

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 08:44:11 AM »
Thanks guys. The feedback is much appreciated.

I'll post more once I run a playtest.

Nathan, yeah, with the Defiler I wanted to do something very different from the other themes. He gets pretty much all his power right away (basically, sorcery to do everything), but he's got that defiling part. So, yes, instead of it being like "When you go aggro..." it's "When you use sorcery to go aggro..."

It's an additional move - the Defiler can still just "go aggro" without sorcery - that gives them the choice whether to corrupt the land and everyone around them and likely get better results or just do it without sorcery.

Thanks again.

~Mike

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 08:08:48 AM »
I drew a character sheet for this hack.

You can find it here.

Admittedly it doesn't really add much on the standard AW playsheet, but at least it's in a more Dark Sun-esque font.
+++THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Ambition knows no bounds.+++

Rogue Trader: Apocalypse

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 08:38:29 AM »
I drew a character sheet for this hack.

You can find it here.

Admittedly it doesn't really add much on the standard AW playsheet, but at least it's in a more Dark Sun-esque font.

Oh man! That's nice!

Good stuff. I've got a potential playtest coming up. We'll use these. :)

Thanks!

~Mike