The Andromeda Paradox - A Dungeon World Hack

• 1 Replies
The Andromeda Paradox - A Dungeon World Hack
« on: November 22, 2014, 02:48:42 AM »

Hi Everyone,

After a little experience with Apocalypse World and Dungeon World I realised I would have to produce a hack. I love sci-fi, but many hard(ish) sci-fi games have detailed rules and are difficult to get into. So, this is an attempt to remedy that starting with a base of Dungeon World and adapting it to space sci-fi. I decided to release it early and see how that turns out.

I’m going for realism in areas where it makes a difference (eg. zero gravity, isolation of space travel, weird alien life). While having allowing for a lot of diversity and “kewl powers” for the characters. Obviously, I have also toned the abstractness of the system down a bit as well and it has much more focus on character expertise and technology.

The main theme is exploration, particularly finding alien ruins and artefacts, new forms of life, valuable resources, founding colonies, building industries, etc.

Obviously the classes need more work, but they are hopefully play-testable. I’m working on writing up a complete rulebook for the game. I’d love any feedback, particularly on what you think could be added or any problems with the game. I’m tossing up whether to alter the system further - for example removing statistic scores, changing the dice to 2d10 to make way for more modifiers, adding in more detailed tactics for combat, etc.

Oh yeah the blurb:

“Suppose there was a place where there were things unexplored, things that man had never seen before. Not just small things, but ruins, cities, living species, continents, entire planets completely unknown to us.  And not just a few, but an immense number, so many that if we gave each of the billions of people on this world a starship and gave them their own planet to explore it would still uncover only a fraction of what we know exists.  As explorers you would ask, ‘Where is this place?’ Well, you’re living in it.”
      - Dr Hans Trageus, Address to incoming students, Cygnus IV Space Academy

I’m also not sure about the name - “The Andromeda Paradox” is from a setting piece which may not even make it into the game. I’d prefer something more general but it seems like all the good names are taken.

And the file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2068464/Andromeda%20Moves%200.1.pdf

Re: The Andromeda Paradox - A Dungeon World Hack
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:21:11 PM »
It took quite a while, but I have finally written up rules for this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2068464/Andromeda%20Book%200.1.pdf

It is quite a rough draft, but mostly complete.