New Skin- The Awakened

• 8 Replies
New Skin- The Awakened
« on: May 01, 2013, 12:30:28 PM »
Here is a skin I have been working on, I haven't been able to format it into a nifty playbook but I hope you all enjoy it. It is all about the frustration of growing up and having to deal with society's restraints and the limitations of your own body. I'd be delighted for any feedback or to hear how it goes if anyone uses it in a game!

THE AWAKENED
[/b]

For some people, a long peaceful life is fine. Not for you. You know you're destined for more. You just... feel it. Most of those around you seem content to be carried by the river that is Existence. Not you. You are determined to swim upstream and find out just what it is you are meant to be.

Power and perspective may be yours but at what price? At the moment you are constrained by the limitations of your still very mortal body and your circumstances. Your journey is going to be difficult and often dangerous. But one thing's for sure- no one is going to be able to forget you at the end of it.

Playing The Awakened

Driven, uncertain, powerful, searching. The Awakened is about potential and realizing dreams. Unfortunately they are restrained by their bodies and their position in society. (They're teenagers after all!) Explore this! Do they risk the consequences of violating taboos or even breaking the law in their quest? Or will they try to work within the system and use it to their benefit?

The Awakened could be an antagonistic character who will sacrifice anything (or anyone) in pursuit of their goals. Or they could seek to use their relationships with others as tools to help everyone involved learn and grow. No matter what though, this is a character seeking to transcend their current existence.

You get to decide what form their Darkest Self takes depending on what they are currently perceiving as the source of their oppression. Are they going to organize a protest? Chain themselves to a tree? Destroy a symbol? Lash out some way against one of the sources of their perception? If it's their body, are they going to go on a hunger strike? A drug binge? Whatever you decide, the point is is that it's going to be big, dramatic, and should have repercussions. The character's nemesis doesn't have to be a mortal enemy. It could be someone they're in competition with, someone they perceive as being in their way, someone who messes up their plans...

Darkest Self

You just can't do it anymore. You are held back by the very world around you, imprisoned by your body.  How everyone else can accept it so calmly is beyond you. You are going to make a statement. They are wrong and you are going to make sure they know it. It's going to be talked about for weeks or months or maybe if you do it right, years to come.  Come out of your Darkest Self when you see that your message was received or when someone manages to show you the positive side of these bonds.

Sex Move

Whenever you have sex with someone, you may choose to either heal 1 harm or remove 1 Condition or move your Apotheosis counter back 1.

Stats

Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 1

Names

Asabi, Denali, Mary, Akira, Christine, Maxim, Aaron, Cyril, Timur, Edward

a regal name, a name evoking power, a divine name, a unique name

Look

average, striking, haunted, unforgettable, unkempt

intense eyes, burning eyes, bright eyes, piercing eyes, desperate eyes

Origin

seeker of enlightenment, reincarnated deity, amnesiac spirit, inspired, seeking validation

Awakened Moves

You get this one and choose two more:

Apotheosis- You are determined to fulfill your potential. Decide what that means. Achieving the highest level of enlightenment? Apotheosis? Being recognized for the mark you've made on the world or those around you? Acceptance indicates just that, acceptance of your place in the world and being willing to bide your time just a bit longer. Move the counter towards Ascension when you gaze into the abyss specifically for guidance on the next step in your journey, when you find a way to overcome the limitations of your physical form or society's boundaries, or when your character has a revelation about their existence. Move the counter towards acceptance when you run away, your character respects the rules established by anther person or society at a cost to themselves, or when they ignore an opportunity to receive enlightenment. At MC discretion, there may be other triggers for moving the tracker one way or the other. When the counter gets full, you add one to your next roll and rest the counter to 0. Every third time the counter gets full, you may choose to have your character reach apotheosis and retire that character. Or you can choose to continue with them but give all the PCs a String on you.

Echoes- You may choose to gaze into the abyss in an attempt to recall something (a piece of information, a memory, etc.) from a previous incarnation/state of being/past life/etc. On a 10-up, you may carry 1 forward for the duration of the scene, ask the MC one question that they must answer truthfully. On a 7-9, you may choose to carry 1 forward on your next roll or ask the MC a question that they will answer vaguely. On a failed roll, the visions are misleading or unhelpful. No matter what the result, you move the counter towards Ascension.

Won't Back Down- On a successful roll to hold steady against someone, add to your list of options: they lose 1 String on you.

Learning Experience- When you learn something about how to overcome your boundaries or work within them by watching another character, mark experience.

Inspirational Figure- When you successfully roll to manipulate an NPC, they are considering to be acting at an Advantage to do what you want them to do for the next scene.

Ritual- After you perform a chant, series of motions, or similarly ritualistic actions, you may add 1 to your roll to gaze into the abyss.

Violence Is Not the Answer- When you lash out physically, move your tracker one back towards Acceptance.

Channel the Abyss- Roll with dark to channel the abyss in an attempt to create a dramatic effect, like an illusion or something similarly miraculous. You could heal 1 Harm from another character, accomplish a feat of prestidigitation, transmute a substance into another similar substance, etc. Be creative but keep in mind that while it should be flashy, it should not have any lasting effect on the game. On a 10-up, you succeed. On a 7-9, the trick works but choose one; it is not as dramatic as you hope and inspires amusement rather than awe or it succeeds but has unintended consequences.

Lead by Example- When another PC emulates you in a very tangible way, they gain a String on you and you mark experience.

Sticks and Stones- Once per scene you may roll with cold when someone gives you a Condition. On a 10-up you may choose to remove that Condition or another condition they placed on you or have them take away 1 String they have on you. On a 7-9, you remove that Condition. This can only be used once per scene.

Backstory

You have a nemesis! You each get 2 Strings on the other.

Someone inspires you, making you want to work harder to transcend your circumstances. Give them 1 String on you.

Advancements

- Take another Awakened move.
- Take a move from another Skin.
- You have Loyal Supporters.
- Add 1 to Hot. (max 3)
- Add 1 to Dark. (max 3)
- Add 1 to Cold. (max 3)
- Add 1 to Volatile. (max 3)

Apotheosis Counter:

Acceptance   Ascension
   -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3

Re: New Skin- The Awakened
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 01:51:18 PM »
Thanks to those that have checked this out!

After looking at this, I am considering removing Lead by Example or altering it to somehow further encourage PCs to follow The Awakened's lead somehow should The Awakened's player take that move. (A String is pretty enticing...) And perhaps Violence Is Not The Answer needs to be switched out too.

Anyway, any feedback would be welcome!

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 06:53:36 PM »
So after a long LONG hiatus, I have decided to come back to this! Here is the most recent version I have. I would love to hear what you like about the skin, what you don't like, what you might like to see...

THE AWAKENED

There is no such thing as a choice between a long uneventful life or a (potentially) short one full of glory. For you there is only one option. You see the others who are content to be borne along by the river that is Existence. Not you. You are going to swim upstream. You are going to become what you know  you are meant to be.

Power and perspective may be yours but at what price? How far will you stretch the bonds of affection and social conventions? Your journey is going to be difficult and often dangerous. But one thing's for sure- no one is going to be able to forget you at the end of it.

Playing The Awakened

Driven, uncertain, powerful, searching. The Awakened is about potential and realizing dreams while having to deal with the restraints of the world around them. They may be a high school student (and therefore legally minors) who may not even have their license or a young adult who hasn’t yet proven themselves to the wider world. Their own bodies betray them, with their basic needs and baser instincts.

The Awakened could be an inspirational figure who spurs others on towards their own goals. Or they could be a tragic figure unable to reconcile reality with their dreams. Maybe they’re an antagonistic character who doesn’t care about the consequences of their actions. 

You get to decide what form their Darkest Self takes depending on what they are currently perceiving as the source of their oppression. Whatever it is, they are lashing out at it in an epic way. Are they going to organize a peaceful protest or start a riot? Chain themselves to a tree? Destroy a symbol? If it's their body, are they going to go on a hunger strike? A drug binge? Whatever you decide, the point is that it's going to be big, dramatic, and should have repercussions.

Darkest Self

You just can't do it anymore. You are held back by the very world around you, imprisoned by your body.  How everyone else can accept it so calmly is beyond you. You are going to make a statement. They are wrong and you are going to make sure they know it. It's going to be talked about for weeks or months or maybe if you do it right, years to come.  Come out of your Darkest Self when you see that your message was received or when someone manages to show you the positive side of these bonds.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, decide if it was a mistake. (Do they disgust you? Did they distract you from something important? Do you realize something unpleasant about them? Did the circumstances under which it happened disgust you? Etc.)   If it was, give them a String on you. If it wasn’t a mistake, take a String on them.

Stats

Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 1

Names

Asabi, Denali, Mary, Akira, Christine, Maxim, Aaron, Cyril, Timur, Edward

a regal name, a name evoking power, a divine name, a unique name

Look

average, striking, haunted, unforgettable, unkempt

intense eyes, burning eyes, bright eyes, piercing eyes, desperate eyes

Origin

seeker of enlightenment, reincarnated deity, amnesiac spirit, inspired, body is a cage

Awakened Moves

Choose two moves:

Attention-seeker- When you attempt to inspire a crowd to action, roll with Hot. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, choose 1:
     -   Bring people forth and deliver them
     -   Bring forward all their precious things
     -   Act as your gang for the scene
     -   Disperse peacefully

Learning Experience- When you act on something you have learned about how to overcome your boundaries or work within them by watching another character and narrate when and what you learned, mark experience.

On The Spot- You may add 2 to your roll to shut someone down or hold steady by giving a String to someone who is watching the scene. 

Inspirational Figure- When you ask someone else for advice on how to accomplish something (or vice versa), the person who asked for advice carries  1 forward  to following that advice. If the goal is achieved, take a String on each other.

Ritual- You may add 1 to your roll to gaze into the abyss when you perform a ritualistic action (or series of ritualistic actions) that is dangerous or destructive. (Causing yourself 1 Harm, vandalism, etc.) On a 7-9 choose one—someone saw you doing this or your actions have come to the attention of authority figures (the police, school officials, etc.) but they have not identified the culprit.

Channel the Abyss- Roll with dark to channel the abyss in an attempt to create a dramatic effect, like an illusion or something similarly miraculous. You could heal 1 Harm from another character, accomplish a feat of prestidigitation, transmute a substance into another similar substance, etc. at the MC's discretion. On a 10-up, you succeed. On a 7-9, choose one:
    -   Take the condition drained
    -  the trick only partially succeeds
    -   Take 1 Harm
    -   Go your Darkest Self

Lead by Example- When another PC publicly credits you as inspiration for their actions, they gain a String on you and you mark experience.

Backstory
You have a nemesis! You each get 2 Strings on the other. Decide together whether they are actively trying to thwart you or if they’re always in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Someone inspires you, making you want to work harder to transcend your circumstances. Give them 1 String on you.

Advancements

- You have Loyal Supporters.
- Add 1 to Hot. (max 3)
- Add 1 to Dark. (max 3)
- Add 1 to Cold. (max 3)
- Add 1 to Volatile. (max 3)

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 05:00:31 AM »

Where is the monster?

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 02:15:30 PM »
That's a point someone else has brought up so I am glad to know what I could work on. I think we see glimpses of it in Attention-seeker and Ritualistic. This is the person who is likely going to do all the right things for the wrong reasons or vice versa. They are going to start riots intentionally or otherwise, they are going to hurt their own causes by being too drastic in their actions or drive people away with their impassioned. They are going to do what it takes to achieve their goals. Maybe I should include a core move for them that gives them an agenda or something to really work for with a benefit associated with pursuing it? Any suggestions on how to bring out the monster that I think could be there with some work?

There are a couple other skins out there that aren't necessarily as monstrous either to be fair. The Neighbor and The Unicorn for example, though I think those are meant to explore different facets of teenage existence.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 07:32:34 PM »

Well, I mean, my follow up question is 'where is the teenager?' Look at these moves! This person is: good at learning from watching and understanding other people's experiences (they can even explain why, in words); good at giving AND receiving advice in a straightforward manner; inspiring to others; able to sway crowds of people. This is a (highly functional) adult in a teenager's body.

Who has a few minor hangups about rituals and who has this elaborate spin about how it sucks to be so awesome and adult but still be treated like a teenager (but no moves that relate to this fact.) I mean, yes, that does suck, but this is a game where even 100 year old vampires act like teenagers.

So my advice would be: to find the monster, find the dysfunction. Then make the dysfunction into the thing the character uses to get what they want. Make the dysfunction the thing that is exceptional and awesome about them. And make it as specific as possible (the channel the abyss move is so general it borders on boring. 'you can do a thing. except when you can't.')

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 08:27:51 PM »
Thanks for the further thoughts, Daniel. You're pointing out things I hadn't considered. This is still a work in progress to be sure and I appreciate the comments that will hopefully help me bring out the monster, the teenager, and what I'm hoping to get across as I move forward with this. Hm...

Would a core move giving them something that they are especially feeling constrained by (their parental units/guardians, their body, etc.) be a good thing? I have been trying to think of what sort of mechanics might go along with such a move... But it would give them something to actively be pushing against, which could help develop Moves that might be more fitting revolving around pursuit of that agenda and how far you're willing to go. (I should play more with the disconnect of how they see the world and themselves and how things really are too somehow.)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:35:14 PM by writersmelody »

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 07:07:12 PM »
Yeah, I think that whether or not a core move is a good idea will depend pretty heavily on how that move works; but also, a core move will very strongly define the playbook, so you want to make sure that 'feeling constrained by obstacles (or a particular obstacle)' is the key <i>thing</i> about The Awakened. (As opposed to: out of control psychic powers, extreme reactions to everything, etc.)

It's interesting to me that your opening blurb about the skin uses the word 'uncertain', because it seems to me that one direction to go in terms of dysfunction is a total lack of uncertainty -- a kind of self-righteous absolutism about what should and should not be the case, which is of course a very teenage feeling. This seems like it might be in line with this idea of being stuck in a body, or stuck in a teenage social role, but in terms of the moves you have outlined it would be a very different direction.

For example, consider a version of Learning Experience that is like:

'When you see someone else succumb to their limitations, or fail to overcome their boundaries, explain -- to yourself, in your head, or out loud to them -- what they did wrong, or how they weren't strong enough.  If you explain it only to yourself, take +1 forward to overcoming the same obstacle in your life; if you explain it out loud, mark an experience.

It's a pretty clunky phrasing, but hopefully it gives a clear image of a certain kind of dysfunctional-but-effective behaviour, and a certain kind of person: always judging the failures of others, yes, but also learning from them and applying those lessons. The +1 forward/xp thing is pretty gratuitous, but it encourages the Awakened to be more public in their contempt/lack-of-tact, and also then makes moves like 'Lead By Example' feel significantly more yucky. ("Man you really inspired me when you lectured me about lack of personal hygiene in the middle of French class that one time... I was totally humiliated and now I shower three times a day.")

I mean, to me the teenage version of the Awakened could be like Paul Dano's character in Little Miss Sunshine -- or like the first person in the high school to read The Fountainhead, without having ever encountered another work of philosophy. Someone who's legit and very real feeling of overwhelming purpose or need to achieve makes them feel like they are above or separate from all their peers. That feeling also lets them do things -- maybe, you know, some supernatural things even, since this is Monsterhearts -- that actually do set them apart (like hold to a vow of silence, or do 100 pushups every morning, or learn Latin, or whatever.)

But to the degree that this sort of person is inspiring, or has social sway, it is as a result of their aloofness and callousness/difference -- a combination of a different/better perspective and a lack of giving-a-shit about other people. Which latter of course is a front because they are actually a teenager and they actually care a whole lot about what other people think -- which is why they're so angry that those people don't realise how great they are/going to be.

--

That all might not be the thing you are trying to do here, though -- maybe the Awakened is less contemptuous and more delusional, playing up that disconnect between how they see things and how they are. Either way I think you want some moves that give advantages at a cost -- that show how being exceptionally driven/self-confident/arrogant can get you things, but often at the expense of others or certain parts of your self.

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 08:34:10 PM »
Thank you Daniel for your feedback! It is really appreciated.  I am working on a new draft, taking your constructive feedback into account. I hope to have something for you and any others interested to review soon.