Picked up Monster of the Week recently...

• 5 Replies
Picked up Monster of the Week recently...
« on: October 26, 2014, 05:00:26 PM »
....I had already written and published the Fate version of my Divine Blood setting before I encountered this. 

The way I'm thinking now, I would probably have tried something between Fate and this for my setting....the Fate version works very well for the setting.

Wish I had the time to do an apocalypse powered version too...

I'd probably have to have separate race and profession playbooks.

So you could combine a Demon High School Kid or a Human Sorcerer....

Re: Picked up Monster of the Week recently...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 09:17:22 PM »
Let's see some basics for Divine Blood

mysticism is a hallmark of amateurs - most trained and professional psychics have demeanors similar to soldiers, spies, engineers, doctors or scientists.

most people are normal - even if they have psychic powers or aren't human, there's a difference between someone used to a crisis and someone who isn't.  even most Gods and Demons are about as harmless as the baker on the corner.

success often requires a price - putting forth that little bit more effort to move the rock, even if it strains a shoulder; doing something with your powers that's close to or beyond your current limit, even if you suffer some corruption; making an effort to convince someone to do something, even if it makes you look bad; if you're willing to pay the price, you will succeed

skill is important - having a high amount of skill can more than make up for a lack of power

all supernatural abilties are based on psychic ability - whether it is trained or inborn, they all have the same basic mechanisms in their basis

everything is immortal in one way or another - God, Demons and incidental immortals live until something kills them, but all souls may cross over and be reborn days, years or even centuries later.  Ghosts are impossible to destroy.

human technology has almost caught up with Immortal power - the Gods and the Demons have grown complacent with advancing their own knowledge and they have not maintained the gap between them and the mortals

The existence of a true diety is debatable - even Gods and Demons are scattered on the issue, many are atheist, some agnostic, a fair number follow Earth religions such as Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism or the like.  Some rare few consider themselves truly deserving of worship

So, basic idea for stats

Personal Focus

Power - the raw strength in your capabilities
Skill - the level of your training and control over your capabilities
Crisis - your capability of operating in a crisis
Insight - your instinct and intuition

Rate each from -1 to +2.  The total most come to 2.

Capabilities

Intellect - how important is your intelligence and ability to reason?
Physical - how important is your strength and agility?
Social - how important is your ability to manipulate or get along with others?
Psychic - how important are your supernatural abilities?

Assign -1, +0, +1 and +2.

Example:

Power +1, Skill -1, Crisis +0, Insight +2
Intellect +2, Social +1, Physical -1, Psychic +0

This character has a blinding level of natural intellect which they have not refined very well.  They have pinpoint instinct for what is needed in any particular situation and they can somewhat brute force through things with raw intellect.  However, their thinking can be very sloppy and they don't particularly think well or poorly in a crisis.

This personality carries over into their other capabilities.  They have a particular ability to read other people and can make some brute force manipulations, but they're not particularly subtle nor react to well to surprises.  In physical terms, they are still very observant, but rather weak in all other regards.  Psychically, she is rather blah, but if exposed to a psychic, she could definitely have a good chance at figuring out their powers' limits and abilities by observation.

Rolls for moves would be made using one Personality Focus and one Priority.

Unsubtly trying to intimidate someone else would be Power + Social.
Carefully performing a shaping ritual would be Skill + Psychic.
Taking aim and firing in the midst of a fire-fight would be Crisis + Physical.
Evaluating and analyzing a scientific or psychic problem would be Insight + Mental.

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 09:30:28 PM »
Playbooks for action oriented campaigns

Soldier - You are primarily focused on combat using physical and psychic means.
Pilot - You are primarily focused on control of a vehicle.
Spy - You are primarily focused on ferreting out the secrets of your enemies and giving them misinformation.
Investigator - You are primarily focused on tracking down criminals and answering questions.
Civilian - You're an average person, though you seem a bit luckier than most.
Advocate - You are primarily focus on using your charm, wit or intimidation to convince people to a certain course of action.
Freelancer - You are a psychic who hires out his skills.
Family Member - You are a member of one of the major or minor Sorcerer or Magician Families
Recent Reincarnate - You are a Demon or God that has returned to childhood recently and have just now reached your teen years again.
Incidental Immortal - You have acquired some form of immortality that is not passed on the way it is for Gods and Demons.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:38:54 PM by Thrythlind »

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 10:44:43 PM »
Playbooks format

Name - as name

Looks - physical appearance

Personality Focus
Priority Focus

Species - adds to looks

Moves - 3 or 4 if there is a negative move

Gear - varies

Health - standard 7

Will - standard 2

History - Connections to party

Experience - 5 to level

Advances

Improved Advances

===================================================

going to hold off on this for a bit...need to focus on the novels and setting stuff for the Fate game.  If anybody here is interested in adapting Divine Blood to this system, just contact me.  Doubt most people have even heard of it yet, but anyway, will mention that.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:43:53 PM by Thrythlind »

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 03:56:09 AM »
Is there a question hidden in here?

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 04:14:45 AM »
no, just rambling, sound-boarding, yadda yadda.