Stats for a hack

• 4 Replies
Stats for a hack
« on: November 25, 2014, 01:25:21 PM »
How do you feel about this stats? Im lacking anything? Is something out of place?
The game is about traveling the world and exploring, in a fantasy setting. There are guns, and lots of non-lethal weapons and fights.

Roll + Perception when you rely on your reflexes, you fight in ranged combat, or you spend time analyzing your surroundings.
Roll + Charm when you manipulate or bargain with beings and things; or when you sing the drafts on anything you're touching, having eye contact or similar.
Roll + Wisdom when you remember stories of old, facts about places, when you take time for your insights, or you use any road tricks.
Roll + Strenght when you fight, when you use the raw power of your body, or you resist harm, sicknesses, poison or other physical dangers.

Re: Stats for a hack
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 05:51:48 PM »
They're functional but they're not very interesting. I saw another fantasy hack somewhere and they were using stuff like +Steel, +Blood, +Bone, etc. and that was some genuinely evocative stuff! Be more adventurous.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 02:12:44 PM »
What spigot said.  What's the setting like, aside from exploration and guns?

The game is about traveling the world and exploring, in a fantasy setting. There are guns, and lots of non-lethal weapons and fights.

Traveling the world and exploring.  You mention "road tricks" and remembering stories.  I like that.  How about you roll +wander when you do those things?  As in, you've been places, so you know things.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 05:30:24 AM »
Thank you for your answers! Its coincidence maybe, but my first draft used +hunt, +tame, +pump and +wander. I opted for more traditional words because maybe i was getting too evocative.

I should have explained that im doing more a hack of World of Dungeons than Apocalypse World in itself. There, beside the stats, you have some skills per class (athletics, deceit, stealth, etc) , that allow you to never miss a roll (on a 6 or less, whenever you're rolling under a skill, you achieve your goal. The GM makes also a move as hard as she wants). I planned to get creative with the skills more. But my main concern was that everything that could be rolled, had a stat to reflect it.

The world is about pilgrims that leave their guilds, with the main purpose of learning to get their masterhood (and to get to level 10). In order to do this, they have to travel the world and face monsters, troubles and adventures. The setting is not medievalesque, but instead a mishmash of modern fantasy, with lots of non-lethal weapons, and occasional guns. I picture it as a mix of Adventure Time, Dark Tower and Pokémon.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 10:21:06 AM »
I don't think "too evocative" is a bad problem to have. Much better than being too boring!