Gritty Space Sci-Fi Hack

• 0 Replies

ked

Gritty Space Sci-Fi Hack
« on: August 30, 2014, 06:17:31 PM »
So I'm working on a hack (crazy, right?).

Abuddy expressed an interest in playing a non-fantasy RPG whish is pretty vague.  Probably space-based, though not necessarily.  I ran through, in my head, game systems that fit the bill, and i did some genre research (read: watched a bunch of movies).  Finally, I decided I wanted to do a sort-of roaming Space Opera-y thing, with the visual aesthetic of Alien, Aliens, and Prometheus - a rough, gritty, industrial sci-fi, though markedly not suspense/horror themed (i mean, it obviously could, but its not what we were after), and not necessarily Miltary themed - no goverment Space Marines by default as PCs.  Leaning heavily towards the players as traders - shady ones - outright smugglers, or otherwise off-the-grid types.

Ive gotten part of the mechanical work down, but I have a way to go yet...for now this will be me just jotting down notes and feeling out suggestions.  In a lot of ways, its going to cleave pretty close to AW mechanically, but skewing things towards tech and space.

Stats I am running with:

If you have Guts,  you are bold, aggressive, strong-willed, hard-nosed, and physically strong.
  • Moves:  Get Tough, Take by Force, Just Kick the Damn Thing
When you're Cool, you're rational, calm, emotionally resilient, and unfazed under pressure. 
  • Moves: Act Under Pressure
If you've got Brains, you're clever, perceptive, educated, and sharp-witted.
  • Moves: Read a Situation, Read a Person
When you're Suave, you're graceful, charming, attractive, inspiring, and exciting.
  • Moves: Seduce or Manipulate Someone
If you're good with Tech, you're a technology savant, naturally talented with machines and computers.
  • Moves: Make the Tech Work

Character types:

Captain (name almost certainly will change)
The Muscle
Brainiac
Operator
Gearhead
The Face
Ace

Moves:
Get tough = Go aggro.  Just a nomenclature change to suit the feel
Act under pressure = Act under fire
Just kick the damn thing - a roll+Guts to make tech work
Reach out your contacts - a roll+Rep to get info/goods/whatever from connections
Make the Tech Work - roll+Tech

New/different rules:
Reputation - other players give you two things you are known for.  An adjective or 2-3 word phrase. This works much like Hx of AW.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:22:22 AM by ked »