Questions from a new Hacker

• 4 Replies
Questions from a new Hacker
« on: August 28, 2014, 02:59:16 AM »
I've been working on an ever-evolving roleplaying game project for more than three years, but only discovered the approach used by Apocalypse World this summer. As it seemed to achieve important goals I had for my project, I decided to begin my project again with a blank document using both Apocalypse World and my previous version of my game as inspirations and models. I've avoided using "copy and paste" with either project, but have paraphrased both to force myself to try to find better ways to express the concepts.

I only joined this forum yesterday, and I had several questions.

( A ) At what point in development should a game be presented here for critique? Or seek a dedicated forum?

( B ) I'm a bit confused by the different sections of the forum. Would a RPG project based on Apocalypse World go in "Powered by the Apocalypse", "Hacks" or "the swamp provides"? I have seen hacks in all three section, such as Vincent Baker's "The Dragon Killer" in "the swamp provides" section. What determines which threads go where?

( C ) I'm also curious about the empty forums, which appear to have been created a few years ago and remain empty. Is there ever a point at which a forum is deleted for any reason?

( D ) I seem to be taking a somewhat backwards approach to designing my roleplaying game at this point insofar as I have a stronger sense of its design and philosophy than of its setting, and I get the impression that isn't how development should be.

This state of affairs is a result of my complicated motivations for this project, which include -- for examples -- a desire for character personality to impact gameplay more than physical attributes, at least a little psychological realism when it comes to killing or horrific experiences, more low-powered characters rather than over-the-top godlings, and a satisfying roleplay experience without swamping the DM/GM/facilitator/referee with heavy work.

So is the tail wagging the dog so-to-speak?

( E ) My original project, for its first year, was a fantasy setting. But my initial play testers had no interest in fantasy (admittedly a saturated RPG genre right now) and asked for a superhero setting. I obliged and it has been so ever since. Yet I keep struggling with the tropes of my RPG's chosen genre, which in broad strokes are ridiculous to me as I scrutinize them critically while working on my game. I have come up with several settings at this point that could work, but none satisfy me personally as a game I'd have a desire to play AND could suspend disbelief for. I haven't given up but I'm unsure how to solve this.

( F) In my rewrite so far, I have used different terms than those used in Apocalypse World. I discovered this evening that at least one of my replacement terms is used in Vincent Baker's game "Dogs in the Vineyard," which I've never played or read. I am guessing this coincidence in word usage is acceptable? I don't think absolute originality is humanly possible with any creative work.

Thank you for your insights or feedback.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:09:07 AM by Wambly »

As If

Re: Questions from a new Hacker
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:56:13 AM »
I'd say the tail is wagging the dog right now, yeah, but then again developing any complex system is always a process of oscillating between top-down views and bottom-up views, GM-facing views and Player-facing views, etc etc.  So as long as you cover all those bases in your process (over and over again), ultimately it won't so much matter which was the initial step.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 04:09:20 AM »
Thanks, As If. I will add that I have found game design to be quite engrossing, stimulating and satisfying even though it seems a quixotic task. I'm an artistic type and love to create in many ways, but it is rare to find a single creative endeavor that can keep my interest for years. Either I finish it or abandon it long before then. So this had been an unexpected discovery for me.

lumpley

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 08:54:11 AM »
Hey Wambly, welcome.

(A) Present your work whenever you want feedback on it. You can ask me for a dedicated forum whenever you want, but my advice is to hold off until your game in development has enough conversation going, enough fans, to demand one. Until then, a dedicated forum removes you from public view.

(B) "Hacks" is for games in development. "Powered by the Apocalypse" is for finished games. "The Swamp Provides" is for abandoned games.

(C) I haven't deleted any forums yet. I might later. It's about time to go through and drop some of the hacks into the swamp, probably.

(D) Nah, you're fine. Whatever design process works for you, works for you.

(E) Good luck with that! The most important thing, I'd suggest, is making a game that you're eager to play yourself.

(F) Acceptable, of course.

-Vincent

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 05:44:03 PM »
Thank you for the welcome, explanations, and answers, Vincent. :)