"The Solace" Playbook is ruining our game

• 20 Replies
Re: "The Solace" Playbook is ruining our game
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 03:28:06 AM »
The problem with the Solace is that it accomplishes by magic what others must accomplish through hard work and compromise. The Touchstone is similarly positioned. "Here is the playbook that gets to decide what violence is justified and instantly enforce their opinion." "Here is the playbook that gets to decide what a worthy future looks like, and conjure resources out of thin air for those who agree."

"Here are some pat answers to the interesting questions which would otherwise propel your game."

You don't have to play them that way, of course; the Touchstone is much more interesting as a charismatic parasite, and presumably the Solace is more interesting as a sort of pacifist tyrant. (And hey, wolves! cool!) But it's like having a D&D class with a once a day power "kill the monster, get the loot" -- not something I'd recommend for a group that hasn't played the game to death already.

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 08:21:03 PM »
My experiences have been very different.  That may be because the PCs in the games I was in never formed a "party" but were always going off and doing their own things only to rope one or two other PCs in at a crucial moment.

My Solace even started a fight because he could see how to stop the cult spreading a fruit that made you forget things you loved otherwise. They were not doing it malignantly, it was a just a recruiting tool. Most of them didn't even realize what it did.

At the same time the other half of the group broke into the local rulers quarters and kidnapped him to get another NPC to leave them alone.  Even if I wanted to stop them (which I wouldn't) I couldn't since I had my hands full with the cult. Meanwhile I was neglecting stopping the wolves of the maelstrom.

So one possible solution I guess would be to multiply the threats until they have to divide and conquer.

Scrape

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 11:00:23 PM »
No one is able to do much of anything they want then.

Maybe I shouldn't focus on this one line, but do the other characters really only want to commit violence? Could it be that the rest of the table is pushing for physical conflict when it's not necessary at all, and the Solace really does want to explore better ways to solve problems? That's kinda scary, right there, and maybe the player chose that playbook because they didn't want to just see bloodbath after bloodbath and wanted to explore something besides fights.

Anyway, assuming that is not the case, why are these other characters bringing around the Solace when they head out to do their dirty work? And why is the Solace preventing every single fight? Is there really nothing worth fighting for in this apocalypse? We've got slavers and madmen and flat-out mutants in the wastes that are hurting people when the Solace isn't around.

Maybe show the Solace what happens after the groups disperse: the pent-up anger gets taken out on the weak elsewhere. Show them that this move isn't an "I win" button, it's just forestalling violence and putting it off-screen, where no one can prevent it.

Also, definitely talk to the other PCs about this. I seriously don't understand why they're hanging out with a psychic pacifist when they want to crack skulls. In my games, the PCs are almost never entirely present in every scene: they're always off pursuing their own agendas and sometimes coming together when those agendas coincide. Remind your other players that violence isn't off the table, it's around the corner... where the Solace can't see them. Hell, plant that seed in their mind that maybe they're better off without the Solace after all... could lead to some good drama at the table.

Have they talked about it amongst themselves?

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 04:19:06 PM »
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this, but disarming presence doesn't stop all violence, just violence committed by NPCs, and only if the roll isn't missed. No single move can dictate what the players do, that's why hypnotize doesn't allow the one player to control another's actions.
The moves says "On a hit, no one present can commit violence while they can see you or hear your voice. On a 10+, furthermore, if any of your fellow players’ characters leave the situation peacefully, they mark experience as well." That is clearly putting the player's characters outside of the hit result. No one present can commit violence, and if other players go along with it they get xp.

We have a character in my game who uses disarming presence all the time, and one other player looks at it as an opportunity to get the drop on NPCs, which means that disarming presence doesn't get used around him now. Or if it does, it's against an NPC they both want gone.
Looking for a playbook? Check out my page!
http://nerdwerds.blogspot.com/2012/12/all-of-playbooks.html

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 04:19:55 PM »
Oh yeah, here's another thing: disarming presence doesn't stop snipers.
Looking for a playbook? Check out my page!
http://nerdwerds.blogspot.com/2012/12/all-of-playbooks.html

Ebok

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 05:51:57 PM »
Or death threats against a solace.