Working on Version 0.3

• 10 Replies
Working on Version 0.3
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:34:17 PM »
Hi guys,

I just made a new post on ardens.org: http://www.ardens.org/2014/06/back-on-the-grid/

The highlights are:
  • I've started working on the next version,
  • there's now a G+ community for The Sprawl, and
  • I've started planning the Kickstarter.

There will be more posts over the next couple of weeks as I think through and solicit opinions on various tricky rules points.

Thanks for all your feedback so far, and keep it coming!

Re: Working on Version 0.3
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 08:10:11 PM »
I've tweaked a couple of basic moves: http://www.ardens.org/2014/06/revising-the-basic-moves/

Kuzco

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 08:49:10 PM »
The changes are positive, without a doubt. Specially Fast Talk.
My only tiny concern is Mix it Up. As I've told you last week, I have an issue with the options given, specifically "you achieve your objective" vs "you inflict terrible harm".

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 02:32:57 AM »
I ll miss +harm from maneuver.

I suppose "getting the drop" is a catch all term for +1 forward or ongoing  and much much more, right?

7-9 part on Fast talk is really interesting. At first I didn't like it much but after some thought it seems like it can incorporate everything the old 7-9 did and be more thematic. What I really like is the fact its clear -to me-  how "hit the market" can work as the main social move for negotiations when you got something concrete and Fast talk when you sell fairy dust.

Great work !

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 01:07:45 PM »
I'll review your email and think about Mix it Up this afternoon, Kuzco.

Petrucus,
I removed the +/- harm options from Manoeuvre because they duplicated Mix it Up options and seemed a bit dull. There are lots of ways to increase harm with weapons, weapon options, ammo and playbook moves. I want Manoeuvre to be about the clever stuff. +AP is still in there (Aim), which is usually effectively a +harm move, and Take Cover (+armour) is usually a -harm move, so they're both covered to an extent.

Getting the drop on someone gives you fictional positioning, so be more or less powerful than a +1: it could put you in position to make another move ("I'm behind the Merc with a gun to his head; Tell me where the file is [play hardball]"), or to bypass a move entirely ("I'm behind the Merc with a gun to his head; I pull the trigger.")

That's right on for the difference between Hit the Street and Fast Talk. I usually think of Hit the Street working on people you know or are introduced to and Fast Talk working on people you encounter in the course of doing something else.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 05:33:35 PM »
UPDATE!

My internal deadline for completion of v0.3 is this weekend.

You can expect to see the revised Basic Moves and Playbooks by the end of today.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 02:05:24 PM »
Looking forward to the next version of this. I had intended on running a game at the next Burning Con but there might not be a Burning Con for 2014.  We'll see. 

Still, I would love a chance to run this with a few of my friends at some point with the latest moves.  Looking rather cool.

Kuzco

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 03:18:16 PM »
Excellent! Congratulations!
Would it be too much to ask for a changelog? Pretty please with sugar on top?

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 01:47:12 AM »
I'd love to provide a changelog, but my workflow doesn't really allow for it.

The biggest change in the next revision is to the matrix rules, both moves and the structure of corporate systems.

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 04:57:32 PM »
I'm considering running a game in v0.3, when do expect it might be released?

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 12:02:04 AM »
I'm working on my own final editing pass now and incorporating some playtest feedback from Gateway over the weekend. v0.3 will be available to Kickstarter backers by the end of the week. If you can't back the kickstarter for whatever reason, I'm also happy to send a copy to anyone who has contributed playtest feedback.