Dynamic Stats

• 6 Replies
Dynamic Stats
« on: May 14, 2014, 09:53:09 AM »
Hello, I am new to the forums and was trying to figure out where to post my question.
I am working on a 1930's Pulp Hack and I have been on the fence about using Dynamic Stats.
Go give an idea of what I am talking about, I will use the examples of FATE Accelerated's Approaches or Styles from the earlier edition of Pulp Era.
So instead of nailing down a specific function of a stat during play, there are 4 or 5 that could possibly work depending on how the player wanted to perform the move.  The back and forth I keep having with myself is "this type of mechanic always seems to be abused, so why bother" and "With the right players it gives a wider option in capturing the mood of an action".
What I mean by abused is some will argue why their action should be performed with the highest modified stat.

I guess what I am getting at is should I build customer Moves for each stat so it narrows down what modifier can be used, or take the leap of faith that the players will do the right thing. Custom Moves based on a stat would then take away the dynamic aspect of doing this in the first place.  This is most likely me sweating the little stuff, but I want to make sure I get input before moving forward.

Rev. James Carpio - Sole Proprietor Chapter 13 Press
Gaming Director - Connecticon 2013
Hexgeneration - a OSR/Gen X Blog
Games Editor - Gygax Magazine

noclue

Re: Dynamic Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 11:35:27 AM »
What makes it an apocalypse world hack?
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 11:42:19 AM »
What makes it an apocalypse world hack?

The finished playbooks and rules will be Powered by the Apocalypse.
Perhaps I used the work Hack wrong?

noclue

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »
Well, AW has moves that trigger when you do a thing. So if you try to take something away from someone who's able to fight back, the MC determines that you're Seizing by Force and then asks for a roll. You don't have to specify whether you're being forceful, clever or sneaky or whatever. You say what you do. From your description it sounds like the move would be triggered based on what approach you chose. So, presumably there would be multiple moves for seizing things depending on what dynamic stat you were using. Am I understanding your question?
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 08:49:51 PM »
Dungeon World has something that seems like what you're doing here. My memory somewhat fails me, but you can basically 'act under fire' in that system, using whichever of the 6 stats work for the situation. As for the munchkins, I wish I had more constructive advice aside from 'choose a less descriptive system'.

If you need a mechanic that balances a dynamic stats, maybe a cap on moves/stats? Like, one chip per stat. Once you use that stat, you can't again for that scene/session. Or maybe when the stat gets used, you get a temporary adjustment, like a -1 forward until you rest? Maybe this is all a bit too far from the core system.

As If

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 09:22:42 PM »
Maybe just (a) you have to explain how that Stat applies to the Move in question, and (b) the table must agree by majority or consensus (whichever your group uses).

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:39:44 AM »
Wow Thank you! This has been all great advice. I think noclue really made me think about it. It does take away from the point of Moves being triggered by the narrative. To have players plot out their Moves defeats the purpose.
Perhaps the moves can be tagged with a type of statistic.

For example a Move called "Blatant Disregard for Personal Safety" where the hero jumps in front of a moving car, bullet, rhino, etc.) can be tagged with Daring. When this move is used Daring Bonus + whatever + 2d6. The whatever modifier could be a daring pool. Each time a Daring move is used the player banks a "Pulp Point" in that stat which can be used to either add a +1, roll three dice take the best two, or trigger a move effect.

Does that make sense?