How to conclude a game of AW?

• 1 Replies
How to conclude a game of AW?
« on: April 15, 2014, 05:44:42 AM »
Ladies, Gentlemen, Esteemed Others,

I feel like it's time to draw my Apocalypse World campaign to a conclusion. However, I'm not really sure how to do that.
Up to now, the campaign has been mostly continuous with very little downtime (somehow I'm quite bad at initiating time skips). The chopper's gang has been in town (the Clam, named such for the big sign there that survived the apocalypse at this former motorway service station…) for quite some time (two weeks?) now, dealing with the natives, but many members (in particular NPC members) are getting restless and want to leave. Therefore them riding out of town into the sunset will be one thing to do. However, many of the players have either picked up additional characters from the Clam, or been somewhat absorbed by that Family, so that's still leaving things open for many. It feels like there is always two more things to do in the settlement. Does someone have a good recipe for putting a conclusion (and not just an end) to a campaign?

As If

Re: How to conclude a game of AW?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 03:22:50 PM »
One of the coolest endings I've ever seen was the "Crossroads" campaign you can watch on YouTube.  Like your campaign, it took place mostly in a particular settlement, and things had reached a kind of "dust settled" moment.  After wrapping up any grievous loose ends, the MC and the group basically decided to fast-forward a year for the final episode.  A lot happened during that year, one of the PCs even gave birth.  The last episode had an almost too-coincidental "reunion" feel to it, which felt just like the final episode of a TV series.  Very, very well done.  Episode 15 is the ender, but I recommend them all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xSQIfpptFs&list=PLccARXndpwfg0r2eqc5cnhuu5K0qKBzdz