Keepering my first game, questions

• 3 Replies
Keepering my first game, questions
« on: April 11, 2014, 12:21:33 AM »
Hey all!  Got a one-shot game scheduled for next weekend and wanted to get some things clarified.  I have played Dungeon World but never run any *world games.  That said, I am REALLY excited to run Monster of the Week.  Out of all the world games it was the one that really sparked something in my brain (although I think I would like to go back and run some DW someday soon!). 

Question: With kick ass being a move where, even if successful, your character will likely take a lot of damage.  It seems like it pushes things through the investigative phase with a big battle at the end where everyone gets messed up pretty good.  Does having another combat earlier in the game mess people up so bad that they don't have enough get up and go for the final battle?

Thanks!  I will post more as it occurs to me. 

Re: Keepering my first game, questions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:23:59 AM »
Pro-tip: Clever hunters arrange things so that when they attack the monster, it cannot harm them back.

More generally, hunters are pretty good at taking damage and surviving, so don't worry too much about it.

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 01:53:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  The problem is that I am playing with people who have not had much experience with the *world rules and I probably can't expect them to set up things so they won't get pummeled.  Does this change things? 

Also, how much luck do you give for a 1 shot?  I was thinking 1-2 max, increasing the hard moves after they use it up.  Any thoughts?

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 02:51:42 PM »
I usually go for 3 luck for a one shot.

For the fights, you need to make sure that you take account of everything that is going on and call for, or make your own, moves accordingly. Do not automatically have them roll kick some ass just because they are trying to hurt the monster - it's specifically for when they are in close, trading blows.