The order of things

• 3 Replies
The order of things
« on: June 20, 2010, 11:26:19 PM »
I know you've thought long and hard on this, Vincent.

The ordering of things is throwing me a little, though. We get the character intros right off the bat, then the character stuff again with the playbooks, then the brief (and different) character intros.

Repeating the character stuff three times feels weird. For what it's worth, I think it was working well when you jumped right into the basics (now page 11) instead of the character stuff up front.

Re: The order of things
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 10:38:30 PM »
I agree. If Apocalypse World were organized specifically to my whim and fancy, it would go: Basics (including the awesome color text for the splats), then the character books (which would have the useful "If you want an experience like X, play Y" descriptions).

If your heart was set on putting the color descriptions in the character books, then Basics would have the utilitarian descriptions and the initial color description would be axed all together. It was pretty jarring getting the character stuff repeated verbatim twice and then explained a completely different way the third time.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 08:32:08 AM »
I had a tough time with this too.

I'd have preferred the Character Creation and Basic and Peripheral Moves parts to have come before the character splats, I think I'd have "got" them more easily if that was the case.  Particularly the bit actually explaining that there was an apocalypse and that there is a psychic maelstrom would have put the rest in a slighly more solid context for me.

But that's just me, you can't write the game just for one bloke.

(I actually quite like the fact that some of the text repeats, it'll make this a more handy reference during play I think)

lumpley

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 09:14:03 AM »
Thanks! Three opinions is plenty. I'll give it another hard look.

-Vincent