Thoughts while reading

• 2 Replies
Thoughts while reading
« on: March 16, 2014, 02:26:04 PM »
  • I love Go Into Battle move. I can't wait to see it in action.
  • It's interesting to me that Draw Someone Out puts some perceptual power in Hot. I'm guessing it's so Sharp isn't so much of a double dip, and the name of the move suggests a way to color the outcomes so it doesn't just feel like perception, but there's unavoidably a perceptual element to it.
  • I feel like the names of the moves in this version are much clearer in indicating what triggers them.
  • If you get the middling result for praying, the gods tell you whether they will or will not accept your offering. I interpret that to mean that they might accept your offering but you won't know whether or not they'll tell you anything for it, or they'll reject and maybe if you try a different offering you might get lucky and get what you want. I'm comfortable with the latter interpretation, but the latter makes me uncomfortable. So basically, what do you think a middling result means here?
  • I really like the helping rules, how they bump you up a success category. Very satisfying design. Same with damage / Fates. I can' twait to see this in play. It's so much more engaging than the harm clock for me.
  • I love the way the world's history has been included throughout but not in a very aggressive way. It kinda reminds me of the way the world is suggested in Burning Wheel, only more directed and important. Great shit. In fact, the two Common Knowledge pages have me all geeking out and shit. I love the Ranks, the different Genealogies, etc. And, of course, there's a huge section on fashion!
  • I appreciate his making a world where he explicitly states that girls can be warriors and non-"white" people are present. I suspect Vincent had in his mind cutting short the hundreds of people who will see "Dark Age" in the title and get all shitty about what's "historically accurate." Good move!
  • I love, love, love the monster creator.
  • The new XP system is neat too. Eager to see how it plays out. I think I like it more. I definitely have the tendency in AW to try to achieve everything through my highlighted stats. This thing where you're pushed to use your whole sheet is cool and I think I'll like it more.
  • I sound like a broken record, but Oaths are really cool and I can't wait to see them in play.
  • I think I want to play every one of these playbooks, but I'm MCing! Alack and alas!
  • Interesting that, with the focus gender got in AW there isn't even a place to put it on the sheets I've read so far (again, unless I missed it).
  • It seems like having everything but one thing in want will be a pain in the ass for the MC to track, especially if more than one person gets it. I suppose the directive is to focus on the things that interest you.
  • Is there any benefit to having a lower Rank?
  • Cool, Hot, and Weird (and maybe Sharp), as names for stats, feel anachronistic to me in this game.
  • The equipment / magic item list for the Troll-Hunter is super-fun too. Lots of grist there.
  • Does use of the Wolfpack move by a character mean that the MC must introduce someone who doesn't want to follow the order? I really like the loyalty system inside of this move.
  • Interesting (and in keeping with Vincent's design style) that PCs can't be forced to love anyone by a Charm. Of course, the ceremonial equivalent is predictably badass.
  • Now I feel the need to design a Sharp-focused playbook. Maybe that jester archetype I wanted to play? Sharp goes well with a general courtier sort of concept. Especially in these stories, having a non-noble schemer who cannot be noble is fun.
Misspent Youth: Teenage rebellion in a fucked-up future.

Scrape

Re: Thoughts while reading
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 03:21:08 PM »
I'd like a Sharp playbook, too. I was thinking along the line of Littlefinger, or maybe later-book Tyrion (Game of Thrones characters, for those who haven't read). Someone with their fingers in all the pies, a lot of high-stakes plays but the "power behind the throne" kinda vibe.

Maybe it's hard to have them get directly involved from the get-go, but I think it can happen.

Re: Thoughts while reading
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 11:02:59 AM »
I feel the need for a Sharp playbook, too, and I thought it could be on the lines of a scholar, or "natural philosopher", but being careful not to step in WickerWise territory...