Videography / bibliography

• 9 Replies

noofy

Videography / bibliography
« on: March 16, 2014, 06:06:36 AM »
Hey Gang,
I know Vincent usually has a media-ography  section in his games, and many of his HBO watching angst has been shared with us via google+ and oh, how we love that level of personable opinion, its so great! :) :)
Anyways, are there any other films / TV / Books that inspire your Dark Ages?

I'll start:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eb-EBdwRtk

Joao

Re: Videography / bibliography
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 08:58:19 AM »
The Enemy of Man (inspired by The Scotish Play, currently being kickstarted):  http://www.enemyofmanmovie.com/

The War Lord, the 1965 Movie starring Charlton Heston, about a War Lord (knight) on a Border Frontier, torn apart between vassal obligations to his duke and love for a local pagan girl, including old gods and mores, a christian priest, a War Herald's lieutenant and notable followers, a frisian raiders front, ransoms and some kind of home front included: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059896/

John Boorman Excalibur: danger, tragedy, magic, mist and prophecy, knights, warlords, kings, druids and witches, a sword and the quest for the grail the best version of the Matter of Britain in film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082348/?ref_=nv_sr_1
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:05:52 AM by Joao »

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 07:59:43 PM »
Check out Flesh+Blood, an old school Rutger Hauer movie. (I should mention a trigger warning for the one scene)

Excalibur and DragonSlayer of course too.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 03:01:38 AM by NathanBlack »

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 08:17:38 PM »
depends on the finished product

my maybe list
Berserk - manga /anime mainly
Gladiator for potential visual inspiration
Passion of Joan of Arc for potential atmosphere
Tudors if I play a Court Intrigue game
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus potentially for visuals.

I wouldn't be surprised if Princess Bride, Willow or some old D&D games manage to finagle their way into my subconscious while playing.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
Someone already mentioned this but Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, particularly Thor's Angels.

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 03:45:59 PM »
I've been reading The Wake and it put me in the mind of (the initial draft), though much lower level and meaner.

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 06:53:37 AM »
As well as the Saxon Chronicles, I'd recommend Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles (based on Arthurian myth) starting with The Winter King.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 01:16:04 PM »
Brian Tierney, Western Europe in the Middle Ages 300-1475.

One of the best texts on the period, period. Very readable, organized by theme and location. Heavily focused on (what would be) France, Germany, England and Italy, but the coverage of peripheral areas is of quality, if not terribly extensive.

Einhard, Notker, and Ganz (editor/translator), Two Lives of Charlemagne.

Biographies of one of the most important men of the earlier period, from one who knew him and one writing 50 years after his death. Very interesting changes in perspective and characterization, and gives great insight on concepts of rulership of the time.

Gregory of Tours, Thorpe (translator), A History of the Franks.

While at times it's a bit of a slog, this is a very rewarding text - queens and princesses trying to kill each other, rebel nuns rallying miscreants into armed mobs, Clovis and his warband described as 'lusty freebooters' (Thorpe's translation is delightful) - the list of bad behavior goes on and on. Granted, this is a late 6th century text, but it's superb for flavor, and it does give a starting point to understand the culture of the Medieval period.

All of these are available cheap on Amazon as used textbooks, and from my experience, a lot of those will be in near perfect condition...

ETA:

Madden, New Concise History of the Crusades.

Solid, balanced work on primarily the Eastern Crusades. Does a very good job of dispelling much of the popular 'wisdom' on the subject, and placing the Crusades in context.

Drew, The Lombard Laws

Very, very illuminating work on Lombard legal codes of 6th to 8th centuries - what they punished and how is eye-opening.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:30:16 PM by Noah Doyle »

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 01:36:34 AM »
Hild by Nicola Griffith. Historical fiction telling the story of the early life of St. Hilda in 7th century Northumbria. There's all sorts of different peoples mixing, allying, warring, betraying. There's a barely remembered Roman legacy. There's a new god with two different groups of rival priests. And there's Hild, light of the world, of royal blood, seer to her uncle Edwin King. Full of tons of personal detail of what life was like in Anglisc northern England. Highly recommended.