Some help with mcing the game

• 10 Replies
Some help with mcing the game
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:29:46 PM »
so...my players have leveled twice in as many sessions, because I continually (inadvertently I may add) highlight skills and then accidentally have them roll them too often. I'm wondering how I may cut down on the xp gain, cause five bubbles I'm quickly realizing fills up reaaallly fast. Also, for managing pc-pc drama, that the pc doesn't want the other pc to know about, how should that be handled? typical dm-style judgement, or some other method you guys think works best?

noclue

Re: Some help with mcing the game
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:15:10 PM »
For stuff the PC doesn't know about, I would just say "so, Ajax you were going to hire a hit on your friend Pupeye here while he's out on patrol. So let's cut away from Pupeye telling Dumpster how Ajax is the only person he trusts and have that scene."

About too much XP, is any story happening in between rolls? A pitched battle can be resolved in one roll.
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

Munin

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:51:54 AM »
We found that for XP, it served us well to only allow a character to benefit from a particular highlighted stat once per scene.  But if your players are sufficiently self-motivated, they'll still find opportunities to use their highlighted stats in every scene.

As for PC-PC drama, I think it's a question of your particular group of players.  I played in one game in which my character was a slimy douchebag currying favor with his superior until she relied upon him, at which time he planned stab her in the back and supplant her rule.  That particular game had rampant metagaming going on, with players not able to separate what their characters knew from what the players knew.  It was incredibly frustrating, and I had to keep reminding people that they had no reason to suspect my character of anything untoward.  If your players can't keep it straight and separate, keep it under wraps.

On the other hand, I've played in games where everything was out in the open and all the players "got it."  To the extent that people were like, "you should totally betray me right now.  It will be hilarious."  Mountain Witch is a perfect case study for this phenomenon.  If what you care about is the story, then having everyone on the same page working to create that story together (even if it is to the detriment of one or more of the characters) is definitely worth doing.

I'd say put it to your players (perhaps without naming any names or giving any details) and see what they think.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 02:28:09 AM »
so...my players have leveled twice in as many sessions, because I continually (inadvertently I may add) highlight skills and then accidentally have them roll them too often. I'm wondering how I may cut down on the xp gain, cause five bubbles I'm quickly realizing fills up reaaallly fast. Also, for managing pc-pc drama, that the pc doesn't want the other pc to know about, how should that be handled? typical dm-style judgement, or some other method you guys think works best?

That rate of xp gain seems normal/fine -- is there a reason you are finding it to be a problem? Like, do you feel like there are too many rolls in comparison to how much actually happens, or are you just (as a group) wanting to keep the PCs from advancing for some other reason? I find that usually this corrects itself with highlighting -- if there really is a feeling that a PC is advancing way too fast by hammering on their strongest stats, then the MC and other players can highlight their less-used stats and either see a different part of the character or slow their advancement. And of course highlighting +0 or -1 stats makes the risk of those rolls they do make greater.

As for PC secrets, my default suggestion is that all play should happen in the open, but I think it depends heavily on your play group's general preferences. Some groups really like note-passing and sudden reveals.

Keep in mind that there are moves like Open Your Brain and Read a Situation/Person that could easily allow a PC to notice or get some unexpected idea about what another PC was doing -- but the player has to know that there is something worth Opening or Reading about, to take that opportunity. The degree to which the players keep their PCs' actions secret from one another will impact how and when those moves are used.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 10:13:01 PM »
thanks you all. in general reply, i merely asked about the xp gain, cause in some other systems i play leveling twice is....few and far between xD but im glad to know its a totally normal xp gain. and for the drama, thank you all for the suggestions, cause again, this is a different system. i really appreciate it ^^

Ebok

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 12:23:15 AM »
I faced a similar conundrum when I started playing. You have a great number of options at your disposal for handling this however. I'll list a few so you can see what I mean.

First you need to decide for yourself if your group is actually having issues with this. Some games might have many opportunities to improve, there isn't a right or wrong way to do it. Shorter stories often will necessitate faster improvement, whereas a slow long term game might need something a bit more drawn out.

The first common way to handle this is noted above. Simply restrict the amount of exp gains per scene. It works, although it also removes the incentive for that player to behave in more specifically hard/hot/cool/sharp/weird rolls. What I mean by that, is that if they have two stats marked, they can pick the same one each scene and ignore the other entirely while continuing to maximum their exp gains per session. Not that it's really all that problematic if they do so.

The second way to handle it is to have rolls mean more individually. For example, instead of having a player declare that they want to rush up and take the gun from the manic (roll seize by force), succeed you narrate that fiction, and then they declare they want to beat them to death with the butt of the gun (roll seize by force again). You could instead have them say their full intention, like I rush the guy, keeping out of his line of sight using the debris for cover until I'm close, then I leap out and grab for the gun, intending to beat him into the concrete with it. (roll one single seize by force roll). Not the best example, but the concept can be applied much more broadly. Many systems have round by round combat, and that instills a sense of micromanaging the action. AW is best when the action is full, meaningful, and the consequences move the scene forward in larger ways. Attack Hit Damage is not a recommended mindset (though extremely common). 

Another option you have is simply increasing the number of experience required to gain every level. There is no rule saying 3 or 5 or 10 is more right then another. It should be whatever fits best within your group, the narrative's style, and the intended duration of the games. Longer game sessions (for those hardcore 10 hour session gamers) might really need a spike in exp in order to give the story a sense of time to developed before every box ends up checked.

Finally you can do a gradual experience, such as five bubbles for the first improvement, and then each time you improve the character add another bubble. Lets people with less keep pace, gives players faster essential moves for their concepts and personal desires, while still preserving the duration in a longer game. I've been testing this one more often then the others, and found it fits with my groups expectations of the game's improvements, while still making them really conscious about how they want to use all of those highlighted stats.

Anyhow those are just some thoughts. Hope it inspires you to find your own solution.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:29:39 AM »

I have played numerous 10+ session games of AW using the regular advancement rules without a problem; there are after all specific rules for longer-term (5+ advances) experience gain, and they work great.

The general suggestion -- if your group is having problems with gaining xp too quickly, for whatever reason -- is solid, but there is really no relation between that and whether or not you are planning on playing a longer- or shorter-term campaign.

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 04:12:44 PM »
Forgive me if i haven't been clear. My players are (obviously) loving the hell out of lvling so often. I however, just wanted to be sure, as MC, that I wasn't doing it wrong and giving them too much. I'm only two sessions in and enjoying the characters, and their interactions with each other and what I throw at them, and the lvling isn't an issue with me. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't being bad MC by allowing them this kind of xp gain. with that in mind, I'll keep in mind what you guys are saying, and apply it to future sessions, lest the xp gain gets out of hand lol

Munin

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 04:58:13 PM »
If your players are loving it then you're doing something right.  I'd say don't worry about it.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 05:49:43 PM »
Yes! That's awesome ^^

T.G.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 02:22:44 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pogut-2L7oY&list=PLccARXndpwfhWVW__i-M7a4MrJGLYjlBa&feature=share
Some really helpful ideas about highlighting certain stats for both play effects and advancement pacing.