[Just Heroes: Redrawn]

• 7 Replies
[Just Heroes: Redrawn]
« on: October 31, 2013, 06:30:47 AM »
Reflecting upon the feedback I received from some very kind playtesters, I've come up with an alternative version of Just Heroes , my superhero hack, in which I've made a lot of significant changes:

• First and foremost, I've dropped the separate Origin and Style playsheets and gone for one unified playsheet for both; this was because the separate Origin sheet wasn't adding enough to the game to justify having it on a separate sheet. The stats make more sense if connected to the Style, as that's where the moves that use them are, and the rest of it was just a colour questionnaire about the sort of character you wanted to play, which can be done less formally within the group.
  • I changed the stats and moves around in favour of something easier to relate to, instead of the more abstract stats (Law, Mercy, etc.) I was using before.
  • I've downplayed the use of power points: most of the feedback I received mentioned that players didn't like having to beg for points the whole time and the power points were sometimes being handed out instead of experience, which wasn't the intent behind them.

There are some other minor changes here and there, largely resulting from the above changes, and I'm open to feedback on all aspects of the revised form.

Re: [Just Heroes: Redrawn]
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 03:36:16 AM »
I've been playing a lot of Sentinels of the Multiverse and it occurred to me that we could play Just Heroes in that setting.

Here is a link to some basic playsheets I made for the Freedom Five:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzUTkdniNXM1SUNUMWp3SVBjTFU/edit?usp=sharing

I'll let you know when we've tried it out.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 06:03:42 AM »
Great! I like Sentinels of the Multiverse and this is a pretty cool take on it; do you mind if I give a little feedback on some of the heroes' moves though?

Legacy: Danger Sense seems way over-powered, as it gives them +2 every time they make the Rescue move; I simple can't think of a situation in which you can take action to rescue someone who isn't present. How about "Take +2 to rescue someone else if it is your first action upon arriving at any scene", implying that your supersenses have lead you there for that purpose. The advanced move should then be the usual "Take 10 for free when you make this move."

Bunker: The Adhesive Foam Grenade move seems pretty cool, but I'd just make it so that on a 7-9, the target gets stuck in addition to whatever other consequence you choose; the advanced move as given is too powerful, since it gives you a permanent free Take 10 anytime you Rescue someone, so change it so that your targets no longer get stuck when making this move.

Tachyon: All cool, except Blinding Speed appears twice.

The Wraith: The only move I'm not sure about is Stun Bolt: when I get a hit, do I stun the target in addition to any other effect? And what is 'stunned'? How does it differ from incapacitated? Also, the advance seems pretty powerful, so that even a miss becomes a hit, but that depends on what effect being stunned has.

Absolute Zero: I'm really impressed: that's a great use of the existing moves and rules to reflect the nature of this particular hero and the new moves you've come up with complement the concept perfectly. I'm tempted to edit the Frost's Wall of Ice move so that it freezes foes who fail to escape: great idea!

Please let me know how it goes whenever you get a chance to try this out: any and all feedback welcomed, as always!

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 02:17:30 PM »
Excellent feedback. I've revised the playsheets accordingly. For Wraith, I borrowed the stunned tag from the Pulse playsheet. I'm looking forward to playing this as soon as I can assemble a team. I will let you know how it goes.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 04:25:12 PM »
Cool stuff and a reminder to me that I really must get around to writing out the full MC guidance for Just Heroes, so that stuff like stunned, incapacitated and defeated makes sense in play. I have a vague idea about the MC's power budget, but writing it out will almost certainly necessitate changing some of the rules and moves that already exist; for example, the more I look at the options for heroes to spend power, the more I think there are some options missing there and I need to expand upon it.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 05:06:55 AM »
I thought it might be neat to make MC guidance sheets with custom moves and other ideas for the villains and environments. I made something for Baron Blade and Megalopolis and added them to the end of the PDF (same link as before).

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 03:33:23 AM »
Yep, it's been a while. I've run this a few times and it works pretty well. Here is a link to the latest and greatest:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzUTkdniNXM1SlZDY2xuUWVHVXM/view?usp=sharing

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 02:25:49 PM »
I see Just Sentinels got picked to appear in Story Games Weekly #56: good work, Siguson! :D