Any Protocol for doing a Hack?

• 7 Replies
Any Protocol for doing a Hack?
« on: September 29, 2013, 10:20:37 PM »
I've recently discovered AW (through DW) and I'm totally and completely blown away. I don't want to gush too much because it gets embarrassing, but still, holy shit.

I want to try my hand at a super hero hack. I've already done a little bit of work on it. But before I go any further, is there anything that ought to be done for it? Any place I should post it? Any specific credits (besides the obvious) that need to be given?

I've done a brief search of this forum and didn't find anything, but my experience is: that doesn't mean it isn't there. If I missed something, can someone please point me? Thank you!

Looking forward to some good reading!

Re: Any Protocol for doing a Hack?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 09:02:53 AM »
Hi!
I don't see an answer here, yet, so...

If it's just an online thing, you can post here on BFA.
If it's early work or rough ideas, you'll probably just want a thread on "hacks -> brainstorming & development".
If you need multiple grouped threads, you can ask lumpley (Vincent Baker), as per the "dedicated hack forums" thread on above sub-forum.

If you're publishing, I *think* the deal is if you're just using vague mechanical concepts or something, like most of the existent hacks do, no real permission is needed, but you should probably contact Vx and let him know anyhoo. For more specific stuff, like using the actual moves, text, IP of AW itself, I expect you'd have to work out something more specific.
But, yeah, for publishing definitely talk to him and see what's up, my answer could be wrong!

Now, the stuff about forums (above) may have changed with the spring cleaning, so I'm not 100%, but I'd start there (there being either a thread on b&d or a dedicated sub-forum).

- Alex

noclue

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 04:10:54 AM »
Vincent talked about this on the recent Master Plan Podcast episode. Basically, if you use his words you should ask permission. If you're not using his words, but the game is based on AW he'd appreciate a mention in the acknowledgements. You're also welcome to use the Powered by the Apocalypse logo if you'd like.
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

Oldy

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 07:57:08 PM »
This may be a stupid/obvious question, but I've searched the forum and can't find it.

Where does one get the Powered by the Apocalypse logo?

lumpley

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 02:23:21 PM »
Write me! I'll set you up. Wait until you're close to publication and need it for your book design.

-Vincent

lumpley

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 02:24:18 PM »
The rules for publishing a hack are here, by the way:
http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=29.0

-Vincent

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 10:53:37 PM »
sorry to perform a bit of necromancy, but could you set me up a Divine Blood forum...it might take me forever since I have novels and the Fate version to work through, but would like to be able to organize my thinking on the matter and get some focused thoughts on the different aspects of the setting.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 08:13:30 PM »
Hey everyone. Not sure if this is the best place to post. But I've heard a lot of great things about publishing hacks (particularly the work that Vincent has done) and was wondering if anyone had any pointers for someone starting out in the publishing process.
To give you little background I just finished beta testing a bar themed roleplaying games and now I'm looking into avenues to actually get the work out there. Thanks again for the advice everyone!