Glorantha with Apocalyse World ?

• 7 Replies

silva

Glorantha with Apocalyse World ?
« on: September 12, 2013, 12:07:40 AM »
Whats the most practical/simpler way to use AW in Glorantha ?

My group is brewing some adventuring ideas right now and we´re flirting with AW because of its simplicity and speed of play (two factors very important, since all the group is adults with family). It doesnt need to be too elaborate or complex. In fact, we thought about a simple premise of the adventures of a little clan in Dragon Pass striving for greatness and booze. And the default AW sandbox play structure would fit like a glove, I think , in such a setting. 

The most practical way for this that I could think of, is simply translating the default playbooks directly to Glorantha equivalents, more or less like this:

The Angel = Chalana Arroy Healer
The Hardholder = Orlanth Clan Chief
The Battlebabe = Vingan Fyrdwoman
The Gunlugger = Humakt Weaponthane
The Operator = Issaries Merchant
The Brainer = Lhankor Mhy Lawspeaker
The Skinner = Eurmal Skald
etc.

So, what you think ? Any help is appreciated. ;)

Re: Glorantha with Apocalyse World ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 03:07:15 AM »
Moonrise over Karse is based on the Lunar perspective, but might give you some ideas.

http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=4543.0

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 01:22:52 PM »
If you're just out after simplicity wouldn't Dungeon World work just as well for a fantasy setting like Glorantha?

Lukas

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 04:22:28 AM »
I'd say that Glorantha is so very different from D&D in terms of expectations and focus that Dungeon World would be a poor fit.

Anyway, priority one should obviously be a Duck playbook.

silva

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 10:04:16 PM »
I agree with Lukas. Dungeon World is dungeoneering fantasy, which I think is a poor fit for Glorantha. Besides it, DW cuts off the "community-driven" playbooks from AW, which I think are perfect for Glorantha (specially if we take King of Dragon Pass as a reference).

I think some important points to be revised are related to payoff/reward mechanic, as in: instead of gaining XP for using highlighted stats, perhaps gaining XP for acquiring knowledge of your cult, or maybe for doing things related to your cults beliefs, would fit better. Dont know.

Moonrise over Karse is based on the Lunar perspective, but might give you some ideas.

http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=4543.0
Great stuff! I will take a look. Thanks.

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 09:20:50 AM »
Probably not as the only system, but maybe give XP for living up to their cultural ideals (rather than just the obligations, which have narrative penalties for not doing).

What I mean is, every time a player can cite one of their gender's beliefs (so: 'Violence is always an option', 'No-one can make you do anything' for men, 'There is always another way' (and maybe 'she sleeps, she is not dead', somehow?  Maybe to keep hope alive?) for women), and acts accordingly, they get xp.

Up to you, I personally just like 'soft' inducements to act in the 'culturally expected' manner than in the 'objectively most effective' manner.

silva

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »
Whoa, thats an awesome idea, SoylentWhite. Im noting it right now. ;)

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 08:27:15 AM »
Also, being mostly ignorant about Glorantha: Is there stuff in Gregor Vuga's Sagas of the Icelanders (which can now be bought freely outside indiegogo) worth stealing for this? In particular, SotI has Gender Moves and Community-driven roles, and a very strong bind to the setting of early-medieval Saga-era Iceland, which might give some inspiration for how to establish play in Glorantha's cultural contexts.