"Expert" and roving campaigns

• 5 Replies
"Expert" and roving campaigns
« on: August 08, 2013, 03:48:07 AM »
Hi; it seems like the "Expert" (with its haven) is really set up for campaigns where each adventure is within a small geographical area.

What do you do where the hunters might be hundreds of miles or more from the haven - take out the Expert as a choice? Tweak the playbook? Or does it work fine anyway?

Re: "Expert" and roving campaigns
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 07:05:02 PM »
Yes, the Expert suggests that the game needs a base of operations.

If you really want a mobile game, the haven could be in a mobile home or caravan, of course (that might rule out some of the options, of course).

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 03:30:18 PM »
Thanks, a good idea! I'd thought of maybe replacing the library with a private database accessible by smartphone - it's a little more 21st century in any case!

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »
That would work too!

I've also sometimes used flashbacks to the research that the expert has "already done", with the conceit that what they discovered in the field reveals what was important.

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:20:59 AM »
I think of the crazy guy the Sam and Dean go to in his ramshackle RV on Supernatural. (Although the character is more of a Flake, but same idea.)

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 07:36:39 PM »
Yeah, that guy could have been an expert, too.

In case you're interested, the expert is (to me) equal parts Giles from Buffy and Bobby from Supernatural.