About weapons

• 2 Replies
About weapons
« on: June 23, 2013, 11:09:49 AM »
Hello,

I'm new to role playing game. I played 1 game or 2, ten years ago as a player. Never Mastered a game but I convinced a groupe a friends (noob too) to try it because It sounds really fun.

So we suggest us Dungeon World as its (quite) easy to start with.

We tested the demo campain (Mine of Drazhu) and it was really fun, even if I have a lot of work to improve my Game mastering.

But I have a question about weapon, I'm not sure to understand the system well.

So the damages are associated to the class, not the weapon itself. It's said on the character booklet, the warrior roll a 10 die, the thief a 8 die etc... So what about weapons ? So, for what I understand, the warrior will roll the same 10 die for a small attack with a dagger or a big charged attack with a too handed warhammer ? That sounds strange to me.. Did I miss something ?

Another question related to the demo quest. We have a list of predefined treasure, predefined monsters, so I followed the advices and give some treasure to each room when the group of adventurers search for them. But the opponent have weapons and, when they defeated them, the always would like to loot their weapon. But I had no sheet for that weapons, so how should I answer ? Do I have to imagine a weapon stats, do I have to refer to something ?

Thank you for reading and maybe answering !

Re: About weapons
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 11:57:50 AM »
Hi Zmove,

You're correct that the damage die rolled by a character is based upon their class, and not the weapon.  However, weapons can have inherent properties (tags) and damage bonuses.

For example,here are a few weapons and their properties from p 326 of the Dungeon World PDF:

• Dagger hand, 2 coins, 1 weight
  • Short Sword  close, 8 coins, 1 weight
  • Spear reach, thrown, near, 5 coins, 1 weight
  • Long Sword close, +1 damage, 15 coins, 2 weight

A Fighter armed with a dagger would do 1d10 damage and be able to attack at hand range.
Another Fighter armed with a Short Sword would do the same 1d10 damage, but at close range, would have a slight reach advantage.  The Fighter using a Long Sword would deal 1d10+1 damage.  The spear-carrying fighter would deal 1d10 damage, but due to the spear's reach could attack an opponent several feet beyond the Fighter's arm reach.  Reach can be a good thing, but a Fighter with a spear might have a very difficult time fighting a dagger-wielding goblin that is clinging to his leg.  The Fighter might have to first kick the goblin away (Defy Danger: STR) or spin out of its grasp (Defy Danger: DEX) before being allowed to Hack and the Slash the goblin.

A discussion of weapon properties can be found on/near the same page (326).

For weapons looted from opponents you can use these stats, or modifications of them.  For weapons looted from creatures who aren't known for maintaining their weapons well (e.g. goblins), they might have a -1 to damage. For ancient, rusty weapons looted from skeletons, the weapons might also have a tag of brittle.

Hope this help.

Hello,

I'm new to role playing game. I played 1 game or 2, ten years ago as a player. Never Mastered a game but I convinced a groupe a friends (noob too) to try it because It sounds really fun.

So we suggest us Dungeon World as its (quite) easy to start with.

We tested the demo campain (Mine of Drazhu) and it was really fun, even if I have a lot of work to improve my Game mastering.

But I have a question about weapon, I'm not sure to understand the system well.

So the damages are associated to the class, not the weapon itself. It's said on the character booklet, the warrior roll a 10 die, the thief a 8 die etc... So what about weapons ? So, for what I understand, the warrior will roll the same 10 die for a small attack with a dagger or a big charged attack with a too handed warhammer ? That sounds strange to me.. Did I miss something ?

Another question related to the demo quest. We have a list of predefined treasure, predefined monsters, so I followed the advices and give some treasure to each room when the group of adventurers search for them. But the opponent have weapons and, when they defeated them, the always would like to loot their weapon. But I had no sheet for that weapons, so how should I answer ? Do I have to imagine a weapon stats, do I have to refer to something ?

Thank you for reading and maybe answering !
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:05:40 PM by ScottMcG »

Re: About weapons
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 03:17:14 PM »
Thank you, you perfectly answered the question. This system first disturb me but, on reflection, it has some logical.