Zombie apocalypse and horror Dungeon World hacks

• 3 Replies
Zombie apocalypse and horror Dungeon World hacks
« on: June 23, 2013, 06:40:44 PM »
I bought Dungeon World a few weeks ago, after reading and playing it, I'm having a blast. The mechanics are great, as a player and as a DM I really felt free of the rules, I could concentrate on the scene and combat, it was so fluid and cinematic like I never seen before (or maybe not so often). So I've been wondering how great it would be to play any setting with DW mechanics, specially zombie apocalypse and horror games, and I'm here to ask: Do you guys recommend any good hack? Sci-fi, horror, zombie apocalypse, I'd really appreciate using DW with everything. I found a lot Apocalypse World hacks, but I just don't get and enjoy AW as I do with DW, I really can't explain why. I already tried hacking it myself, but I'm not very good at it.

Thank you!

Re: Zombie apocalypse and horror Dungeon World hacks
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:09:28 PM »
Check out Zombie Murder Mystery from Dungeonmastering.com:

http://games.dungeonmastering.com/zombie-murder-mystery/

Not a DW hack, but it is a super fun "Rules Light" Survival Horror RPG. If you don't enjoy ZMM strait up, you might find useful ways to adapt DW to better fit the Survival horror genre.

I wrote a set of "Advanced Rules" for ZMM some time back and submitted it under creative commons. It recast the medieval fantasy tropes of ZMM basic into a more Lovecraftian setting set in 1930's Pulp Strange fiction. (Love me some H.P. Lovecraft).

Here is a link to my Advanced Rules for free:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxgx9gb32dm0gtf/ZMM-%20Advanced%20Rulebook.pdf

I hope you enjoy ZMM if you decide to look into it. Or get some ideas for hacking DW to fit the genre you are looking for. Report back here on any ZMM adventures you have, or ways you combine DW and ZMM. I've been looking for a way to do it myself.

Enjoy!
Greven

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 02:35:45 PM »
Oh! Also, the Heroes of Horror supplement for D&D 3.5 is an amazing resource for giving a horror touch to fantasy role playing. Much of the content is system neutral and should give tons of great content for a DW game.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
The Escape was my take on a zombie apocalypse in DW.