Custom Moves from Space World

• 3 Replies
Custom Moves from Space World
« on: June 02, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »
We just finished a 13 session run of a space set Apocalypse World game, mildly influenced by Firefly.  We ran with four players, all co-MCing, and I thought I'd share a few custom moves from my fronts.

First, the Garden Ship was a Grotesque threat inspired by the Lotus Eaters.  They lived off an alien fruit that had turned them into blissed-out freaks.
When you eat of the fruit roll +weird.  On 10+, you see things so clearly; ask the maelstrom one question and the MC will give good detail.  On 7-9, you feel fucking great and have a +1 ongoing to actions that get you more fruit.  On a miss, you come to a few hours later feeling unburdened... tell the group about something you love, and then forget about it (yes, forever).

For my Reavers, I broke them up into solitary, gang, and ship moves.
A single reaver has:
Don't Blink: If unattended, it disappears from any prison.  If attended and its keepers are distracted, roll +sharp.  On a 10+, it tries to escape, but you put it down.  On a 7-9, it attacks you, suffer harm.  On a miss, it's gone.
Reaver gang:
Blood in the Water: If space and fiction allows, should you enter combat with reavers, each turn sees their numbers swell in group size until the space is full.

I particularly liked how these threat/moves played out, and would love to hear how they work for anyone else who wants to run with them.

lumpley

Re: Custom Moves from Space World
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 09:11:53 PM »
We ran with four players, all co-MCing, and ...
Neat! I bet that worked great.

-Vincent

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 08:36:07 PM »
We ran with four players, all co-MCing, and ...
Neat! I bet that worked great.

-Vincent
Yeah, I felt it went great.  We'd each played or ran in a previous AW game.

Jwok

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 11:03:41 PM »
As a player/co-mc in this game, I wanted to say A) Truemyth's move design was awesome (the miss on the fruit roll was particularly cool), and B) Co-Mcing with 4 people worked really well. Thanks to Truemyth and Derendel for being a part of this awesome game, and thanks to Lumpley for setting out a foundation for co-mcing!
Welcome to Jwokalypse World
http://jwokalypseworld.weebly.com/