Discern Realities order of questions

• 5 Replies
Discern Realities order of questions
« on: May 22, 2013, 05:47:17 AM »
Hi, say I make a 10+ on Discern Realities, and have three questions; must I:
State them one at a time, waiting for an answer form the GM?
Communicate them all at once?
Do as I please?
Just for curiosity.

In the example pg. 67, the player poses them one by one.

noofy

Re: Discern Realities order of questions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 06:45:46 AM »
There is no 'right way', but it really does help to work with the narrative and expand on the questions through roleplay and conversation. Just asking all the questions outright misses out on so much that can be expanded upon and authored into your Dungeon World.

Remember that sometimes to disclaim decision making and ask the players instead is a great way to move the story forward in a direction that intrigues the players and makes for the unexpected!

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 07:01:55 AM »
You're with me, right? No "official" way, so you can really expand on the fiction, posing the question in the most "efficient" way, ok?

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 01:28:22 PM »
The way it's written seems to be like "read a sitch" in AW where you ask the questions mostly all at once, but I think as long as you are still doing whatever triggered the move in the first place -- searching the room, talking to the priestess, watching the two knights duel, etc -- I think it's legit to go back to role-playing the scene and ask your questions as you play.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »
The "ask all questions right away" thing is as I see it only there to prevent holding on to questions, doing something that changes the sitch, and asking "well, who's in control of it now? I've never had it mean you have to state all the three questions before getting an answer. So maybe you ask "Who's really in control here?", and if it's under control (heh) you can ask for previous events and useful or valuable things, but if it's unstable you can ask what you should be on the lookout for specifically.

That's how I'd call it anyway: ask all your questions before people start doing things again, but if you want to wait for my answer to one before deciding on the next one, that's fine.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 01:51:27 PM »
As the GM, I sometimes ask for all the questions at once so that I can figure out how I'm going to answer them all, particularly if the questions overlap, which they sometimes do. But if the player asks them one at a time or even holds onto one for later in the scene, I'm cool with that too. Better than stalling the game while the player works out what to ask for their final question.