The Regiment // Space Marines

• 22 Replies
Re: The Regiment // Space Marines
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 07:32:10 PM »
Psychic Powers and Librarians

Rename GUTS to NERVE (this was used in the Inquisitor game).
To keep it simple, use NERVE for psychic rolls or replace LUCKY with WARP and use this instead (roll tactics for scrounging then?).

Whenever psychic powers are used and you roll a match, cross one stress and a psychic phenomenon occurs (random table like in GHOST LINES? Steal EVEREYWHERE ;-) ).
Add one optional Librarian move that allows you to ignore or reduce or re-roll the psychic phenomenon.
Add one optional Librarian move that allows you to ignore or reduce (slash instead of cross) the stress received.

Shamelessly steal the Visions of Death move from the AW Battlebabe.

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 11:12:55 AM »
I was thinking about matched rolls as well, but I would say "any matched failure" triggers overheating.
I thought about the odds on the drive home from work yesterday and came to the same conclusion. This gives the right odds.

-reliable
This has to do with Jamming, yes? Since Jamming in The Regiment is more in the nature of a "bad outcome" of failing, I'm not sure I'd want to mess with that just using a weapon tag.
Hm… I think you are right, reliability and jamming would be too detailed for this approach, especially if you need the game quickly.
[/quote]I see this as a specific "spend 1-gear or don't use the weapon" exchange on a miss. I guess the reliable tag could eliminate that particular option for the GM, but that's not really a narrative thing.

Thinking about it in narrative terms, when the hero's gun jams in the movies, it's always at a dramatically appropriate moment. If he's firing a laser rifle, then instead of jamming it typically overheats in the sci-fi movies. They are basically just alternates in plotting the action scenes.

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 01:06:15 PM »
Psychic Powers and Librarians
Whenever psychic powers are used and you roll a match, cross one stress and a psychic phenomenon occurs (random table like in GHOST LINES? Steal EVEREYWHERE ;-) ).
Shamelessly steal the Visions of Death move from the AW Battlebabe.
“Picasso had a saying - 'good artists copy, great artists steal' - and we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas.” - Apple co-founder Steve Jobs

The Battlebabe visions of death move can be reskinned as the Augury psychic ability. Similarly, the Brainer deep brain scan move can be reskinned as the psychic Reading power with only a minor change in questions the Librarian can ask. Similarly:

Telepathy: When you assess the situation, roll+WARP instead of roll+TACTICS. You don’t have to interact with anyone to do the assessment.

Inspire: When your kill-team assaults the enemy, you can roll+WARP. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 1. At any time during the engagement, you can spend hold 1-for-1 to:
o give another marine +1forward when they try to keep it together
o give another marine +1forward when they attempt a dangerous combat maneuver
o heal 1 stress-critical box

It looks to me like the Iron Arm ability should be maybe (2d tight quick) and maybe give 1-Tough, the Smite ability is basically something like (3d near ap terror - maybe have a psychic tag instead of ap), and the Avenger ability is probably something like (3d close burn [area OR messy] indirect).

Add one optional Librarian move that allows you to ignore or reduce or re-roll the psychic phenomenon.
I could see a move that allows the reroll at a cost: maybe -1ongoing or 1-stress or something.
Add one optional Librarian move that allows you to ignore or reduce (slash instead of cross) the stress received.
That's a good basic Librarian move. You can call it sanctioned psyker, which is more or less how that works.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:28:08 PM by AlHazred »

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 02:49:52 PM »
APOTHECARY

Stats: NERVE+2, +1 in another Stat.

Moves: Choose two more

x Genehanced Posthuman: In combat, you count as a small group. Deal +1d and suffer -1d when fighting human-sized targets. You have twice the number of wound boxes.
    x Know No Fear: You suffer no stress effect and are considered stress critical only when all stress boxes are crossed.
    x Medicae: When you attend to a casualty (in the heat of battle: mark xp), roll+NERVE. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one:
        : You stabilize a critical soldier. They don’t die or get worse.
        : You get them back in the fight, and take +1d to treat their harm if you choose that option (below).
        : You treat their harm. You do “damage” in reverse. Roll a number of dice equal to your nerve+1 and index the VOF table (incidental fire). They recover stress or wounds according to the results. Spend gear 1-for-1 to re-roll or improve your VOF.
    o Battlefield grace: When you’re attending to wounded in the heat of battle you and your patient get 1-tough.
    o Angel of Mercy: When you perform a combat action to save lives, roll+NERVE.
    o Xenotoxin: Before an engagement, the marine can use a sample of the enemy to create a toxin for his unit. Spend 1-gear to give the squad’s weapons +1-ap for their first assault or attack, but only for the type of enemy sampled (Tau, Tyrannid, etc.)
    o In their time of need: When you provide comfort to a casualty, they heal 1-stress and increase their bond with you by 1. You may increase or decrease your bond with them by 1.
    o Nerves of steel: You get +1 nerve (max +3)
    o Apothecarion: When you tend to your marines’ health between sessions or during downtime away from danger, they get the recuperate choice on the downtime move, for free. In addition, you can spend 1-gear to give a marine (including yourself) +1 choice.

Loadout should be similar to the regular trooper, with the addition of the narthecium (the apothecary's medi-kit).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:57:29 PM by AlHazred »

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 08:10:38 AM »
TECHMARINE

o Servo-arm mechanical third arm (5d tight AP).
o Gun Blessing: the Techmarine can roll+TACTICS. On a 10+, he clears all jammed and overheated weapons held by his allies within close range. On a 7-9, he clears them for everyone in close range. On a miss, he suffers 1-stress.
o Mechadendrites: increase the range of all held weapons from tight to tight/close. Also function as a weapon (3d close AP).
o Servitor Drone: you have a nearly-mindless menial cybernetic slave.

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 09:56:47 AM »
TECHMARINE

o Servo-arm mechanical third arm (5d tight AP).
o Gun Blessing: the Techmarine can roll+TACTICS. On a 10+, he clears all jammed and overheated weapons held by his allies within close range. On a 7-9, he clears them for everyone in close range. On a miss, he suffers 1-stress.
o Mechadendrites: increase the range of all held weapons from tight to tight/close. Also function as a weapon (3d close AP).
o Servitor Drone: you have a nearly-mindless menial cybernetic slave.

I like those, I will add them as they are! *edit* with minor adjustments ;-)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:32:50 AM by schlaghund »

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 01:32:39 PM »
It's that time of year again. This Saturday, I will be running a game for 40 Hours of 40K at my FLGS. Since schlaghund was kind enough to include the Imperial Guard with the last batch of playbooks I got (version 1.5, it looks like), I'm all set to run an ork massacre scenario with a bunch of Last Chancers.

I took the opportunity to look the playbooks over earlier this week, and I still think they look fantastic! Schlaghund, you outdid yourself!

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 01:25:14 PM »
Are those playbooks available somewhere? Sounds cool. I've wanted to run some 40k but was intimedatid by the rulebooks.