New Skin: The Editor

• 2 Replies
New Skin: The Editor
« on: May 18, 2013, 04:04:03 PM »
Hey, MonsterHearts forums! I've made a new skin that my playgroup thinks is pretty cool and I thought it might be worth sharing with all of you. The skin is called The Editor and it started as a joke amongst my group when we were looking through the dedication page at the beginning of the book, and saw that everyone who had received a dedication was labelled with a skin except for the editor who was just The Editor. I joked that The Editor should be an actual skin, but then I went ahead and actually made it.

It's mainly inspired by The Rumour in the Umbrella Academy comic books but I put a sort of original twist on it.

So, without further ado, here's The Editor! Lemme know what you think of it!

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?bklzzu598lftyeg

Re: New Skin: The Editor
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 08:55:20 PM »
Wow.  There's a lot of wonderfulness there.  Damning Evidence is particularly delicious.

There are places where I find myself wondering what's going on in the fiction with a particular move:

With Rumor mill, do your words literally reshape reality?  If so, say that explicitly in the move.  If not, then maybe have it work as a condition.

Sticks and stones makes no sense.  What's happening there that lets the character roll with Hot?  Is there some magical property of the character's speech that physically damages the person they're lashing out at?

Pass the buck is a really cool idea, but needs more development.  It seems like right now, the Editor can just say "He did it", be automatically believed, and no longer be tangled up by the wronged person's strings.  I think the fiction will be better served if the Editor has to work to justify the blame he's placing.

Re: New Skin: The Editor
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 04:06:45 AM »
With regards to Rumour Mill, yes that is how it is intended to work. I'll make sure that it's much more explicit.

As for Sticks and Stones, I think it would benefit from an included explanation. My concept for it was that insults hurled from the Editor would be so sharp that they literally did harm. So, again, will be made much more explicit.

Pass the Buck was always the move I was least excited about and I kind of want to replace it with something but I'm not sure what. I'm open to improving it as it is though, but I'd have to do a lot of thinking about a really interesting way to make it fair and worthwhile.