Search And Seizure custom move

• 2 Replies
Search And Seizure custom move
« on: April 23, 2013, 09:31:32 PM »
There seems to be no canonical place where Apocalypse World custom moves are collected in a nice format with easy searching, sorting, rating and feedback. (Is there?) I want some of the latter on one of mine, so please tell me everything that's wrong with the following move (I'm very sure the phrasing can be improved; but to what?) I made for the Hardholder in my campaign:

Search and Seizure
When you take go through the stuff in somebody's shelter, roll +sharp. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7–9, choose 1.
  • You find something valuable, worth 1-barter.
  • You find something interesting, possibly incriminating. Mark +1 Hx.
  • You are subtle about it.
  • You make sure that everybody getting the scent of it knows it was just the reasonable thing to do, nothing to be upset about.

Re: Search And Seizure custom move
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 08:38:33 AM »
I've seen a couple folks try to get a site like that off the ground.  Here's one.

This thread at Story Games had a lot of great stuff in it.

That's a fun move for a hardholder, I can see it in play.  I'm thinking the last two options both feel very circumstantial and could possible be combined.

Search and Seizure
When you go through the stuff in somebody's shelter, roll +sharp. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7–9, choose 1.

• You find something valuable worth 1-barter.
  • You find something interesting, revealing or incriminating.  Mark +1 Hx.
  • You don't cause any problems.

On a miss I'm thinking booby traps or dead bodies.

Re: Search And Seizure custom move
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 11:39:53 AM »
I had stumbled into hardholder.com before, but that page gives me absolutely no clues as to if moves are good and interesting and stuff and why/why not. The thread has mostly the same problem, and is less structured.

One of my options concerns mostly the people you are suspicious about being alarmed, the other one is about bystanders that might think that the Hardholder has gone too far this time. I was aiming for a split between these two, giving him a choice of priorities.