Urban Shadows - An Urban-Fantasy RPG Powered by the Apocalypse

• 28 Replies
Re: Urban Shadows - An Urban-Fantasy RPG Powered by the Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 01:04:13 PM »
So, back to Urban Shadows!
haha Here here!

I have added in The Immortal archetype, it'll be in the download link in the original post. I'd love to hear feedback for it. Thanks!

Also working slowly but surely on The Spook, The Wyrm, The King and The Oracle. We shall see what comes of those. :)

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 01:07:41 PM »
Spook the new name of the Specter?

Oraclem is that the original Oracle and reader combined?

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 01:14:19 PM »
Yeah Spook the new name for Specter. I'm really struggling on what kind of Ghost I want to make. It's a hard thing to define.

Oracle will be it's own thing I think. All about visions and foretellings. At least that's my hope.

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 02:39:32 PM »
Yeah Spook the new name for Specter. I'm really struggling on what kind of Ghost I want to make. It's a hard thing to define.

Oracle will be it's own thing I think. All about visions and foretellings. At least that's my hope.

I like the sounds of the specter playbook, but don't like the spook name so much (sorry!), too much like a govmnt agent...  Ghost, Shadow, Wraith, Haunt, Revenant, Shade, Apparition, Phantom

types of ghosts; what about give the player a list to select what type of spirit there are; example - of passion, or rage, of vengance, of unfinished deeds, of war, etc.. or have them fill in a blank...

many ghosts have something that ties them to the mortal world - perhaps you can use that in the playbook for some sort of intersting mechanic or move for them?

there's my 2 cents ; )

HanklevonCrankle

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 02:48:34 PM »

I like the sounds of the specter playbook, but don't like the spook name so much (sorry!), too much like a govmnt agent...  Ghost, Shadow, Wraith, Haunt, Revenant, Shade, Apparition, Phantom

types of ghosts; what about give the player a list to select what type of spirit there are; example - of passion, or rage, of vengance, of unfinished deeds, of war, etc.. or have them fill in a blank...

many ghosts have something that ties them to the mortal world - perhaps you can use that in the playbook for some sort of intersting mechanic or move for them?

there's my 2 cents ; )

HanklevonCrankle

I was thinking the same thing, but an item, place or person that makes them more powerful or weaker around.

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »
That could work. Maybe something like the Selkie's pelt from Monsterhearts. This bears research!

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 09:46:06 PM »
As I mentioned before, I really would love to see the Ghost also be able to take over a human for a short period of time (say one who is weak minded)

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 09:50:57 PM »
As I mentioned before, I really would love to see the Ghost also be able to take over a human for a short period of time (say one who is weak minded)
Seems like a fair playbook move. I'll see what I can do. :)

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 09:41:20 AM »
Need some insight on something.

On more than one occasion a player who is rolling+trust to interfere with a fellow player has expressed a concern with the mechanic. Rolling+Trust to help someone, gather resources or hit the streets seems great, but when it comes to that interfere, something is jarring.

"I don't trust this guy's faction, so why am I hindered in trying to resist their moves?" It's a valid question. When I first designed this section I meant Trust to be how much you and a faction's member trust one another and how much you understand the other. I think the wording of Trust is misleading and leads a player to interpret this as their character's Trust in a faction solely.

So, how do I fix this? Do I simply change the naming of the system to something like Affiliation or Rapport or Kinship? Or do we change the way Interfere works. I've had it suggested that when you Interfere with a player, you invert your score. For example, if you're Trust in Wild was -2 and you were Interfering with a Fae, it would change to a +2 for these purposes but remain a negative number when rolling Help or the other Faction moves. This may work, but I feel like adding in a negative/positive switch-up like this is going to confuse players, especially the less rules-intrigued ones. Less is more after all.

Any input would be appreciated. I'd rather make a change with other points of view considered. Thank you.

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 11:17:47 AM »
By getting rid of the Help/interfere roll and shifting that role to Debt, essentially.

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »
Then what is the point of Trust? Trust is an awesome idea, we just need to keep it semi-balanced.

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 02:58:57 AM »
Why not just go back to the AW wording and call it "History".  History very much describes connections without coloring them as positive or negative.

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 10:17:40 AM »
@Arscott. Mostly I want to avoid Hx to be more original. I feel like an AW hack should bring new ideas into the fold rather than just re-skinning Apocalypse World.

We had some good alternative ideas over at storygames and google+. Here's the link in case you wanted to check it out.
http://www.story-games.com/forums/discussion/17890/urban-shadows-an-urban-fantasy-rpg-powered-by-the-apocalypse#Item_78

Thanks!

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 10:49:33 PM »
The Kickstarter for Urban Shadows is live and runs through the end of June:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1287928832/urban-shadows-rpg