The Oni

• 2 Replies
The Oni
« on: February 06, 2013, 02:05:41 AM »
My friend and I are both big, big fans of Monsterhearts and we both like to tinker with rules. We've hacked a bunch of games, but never really finished anything or produced anything worth sharing.

Until now.

We've come up with the idea of making several new Skins based on monsters from Japanese mythology (as we've both been living in Kansai for several years now). Here is the first Skin: The Oni.

Everything's done except for the "intro text" on the front cover and a flavorful name for the Gang Advance option.

We'd love to hear feedback on The Oni, whether you simply read it over or if you actually use it a your table. How clear are the moves? Do they work as intended? Do the make sense for the Oni's nature? Are some of the moves broken or overpowered? Does something feel "off"? We just need more pairs of eyes on this Skin to spot any problems we may have overlooked. Thanks.
If you see my post in your thread, it'll die within 24 hours. You've been warned.

@HyveMynd on Twitter

Re: The Oni
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 04:16:01 PM »
I stumbled across this on Twitter earlier today. I just wanted to say that I knew someone like this back in high school. Not a Japanese storm demon, but a self-appointed social policer. He was awful and this Skin looks fantastic.

Re: The Oni
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 08:23:02 PM »
Just read the Oni, I think this is a great addition to the game.  Well Done! 

I saw the other ones you are working on too, the Tengu and the Kitsune. I don't know if another fae creature really improves that game much... a kitsune can already be played as a fae.  I was thinking about suggesting a Kitsune-mochi or a Tsukimono-suji as an alternative... but both of those archetypes can already be played as an infernal. 

A Kitsunetsuki would be an interesting skin, a semi-possessed person who is trying to just be a normal kid in highschool would be very fun to play, and one that currently can't be made with the ones that are out there.