Bard Class - Arcane Arts - Healing Question

• 3 Replies
Bard Class - Arcane Arts - Healing Question
« on: February 01, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »
I have a new campaign, and just added a new player that took the Bard class.

After a combat he was using the Arcane Arts move to heal other PCs (they don't have a cleric).

With no real restrictions out of combat (no real time pressures - no one trying to kill him) if he fails his roll (6-) it seemed like there was no real consequence, and so he turned into a healing machine.

I am wondering how other GMs have put restrictions or used narrative ideas in a context like this.

Or, does it matter - just let the PCs get their hit points back. Maybe make the Bard roll once, and use that as an overall success/failure/consequence check against the Bard's actions.

All help appreciated

WookieeDaddiee
Games for Dragons and Robots

dragonrobotgames.com

sage

Re: Bard Class - Arcane Arts - Healing Question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 03:01:47 PM »
A 6- is always a GM move. The fight ends, the bard starts signing up some healing, rolls a 6 and…

The gnolls hear the echoes and start moving into position for an ambush (Put them in a spot, off screen)

The demon entrapped in the sanctuary stirs (Show signs of doom, off screen)

His voice goes dry from all the singing and the stress of battle, use of a ration of water, find a source, or no magic for you for a while. (Use up their resources)

He finds his magic strangely amplified, like there's power there for the taking, does he take it? (Offer an opportunity with a cost)

The sound hits a harmonic with the stonework and it starts to crumble, if he keeps singing he'll risk collapsing something (Tell them the requirements and ask)

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 03:20:23 PM »
Excellent advice - thank you.

I think converting my own thought process is so far the hardest part of Dungeon World.
Games for Dragons and Robots

dragonrobotgames.com

noofy

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 09:01:23 PM »
Player Misses are the most fun you can have as GM :)