Strings with a lot of NPCs

• 2 Replies

NilsH

Strings with a lot of NPCs
« on: November 27, 2010, 11:07:50 AM »
I´ve been thinking some more about strings, and how often you use them. They seem to be a really potent and importent part of the rules and the setting- and I´m just thinking that their usefullness i related to the number of NPCs in the campaign. If you throw in a big number of NPCs, as in AW, you have Strings on maybe 2-5 % of everyone involved.

If there are fewer NPCs the strings get to be more importent. So maybe you should write something about how to use and look upon NPCs- with the Strings it seems like NPCs are more precious to the MC and the players. Every string/ NPC counts- it´s unfun to loose a NPC when you have gained two strings on him.

I´m also thinking about the first session. Maybe it wouldn´t hurt to distribute more strings in the beginning to get things rolling. Like- you could have three "free" strings to distribute in the first session- but for every string gained, someone gaines a string on you. So you get the economy rolling.

You also establish relationships and power in the school really fast and hands-on.

What do you think?

____
Has anybody else tried the MH-rules?

_______

I have also been thinking a lot about inventing more powerful moves for the characters to gain after the fifth improvment- but these moves gotta be learned in game- and they cost you strings to the teacher

Like: the feary gains the power to freeze time, to walk in peoples dreams, to charm etc (typical feary things)

The ghoul get´s some of the powerful-fighting moves from AW

The witch- I don´t know yet...

Maybe this is a bad idea? 

___

Nils

NilsH

Re: Strings with a lot of NPCs
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 11:40:37 AM »
Another cool thing to do with strings would be to treat every session as a new episode- first thing in every session is for the players to decide who has gain 1 string on their character since last time- and why.

I´m watchin buffy nbow- first session, and suddenly there are a whole gang of bullies (who gets turned into Hyenas with Xander at the zoo) who haven´t been around before- and they have relationships to the characters from the first minute.

So, it´s a chance for the players to decide what the game will be about today.

/ Nils

Re: Strings with a lot of NPCs
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 03:16:33 PM »
Another cool thing to do with strings would be to treat every session as a new episode- first thing in every session is for the players to decide who has gain 1 string on their character since last time- and why.

I´m watchin buffy nbow- first session, and suddenly there are a whole gang of bullies (who gets turned into Hyenas with Xander at the zoo) who haven´t been around before- and they have relationships to the characters from the first minute.

So, it´s a chance for the players to decide what the game will be about today.

/ Nils

1.) That's a neat idea.

2.) Hyenas is the best episode in the first season.