The Regiment: Colonial Marines

• 59 Replies
Re: The Regiment: Colonial Marines
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2013, 02:20:26 AM »
5) The player has full authority over the core directive. It's easier to choose after you know what the mission is. It's cool to talk it out with the group, of course, and choose something everyone thinks is cool (and troublesome!)

"Deployment" is where your soldier is serving. In this case, on Colony 724.

"Theater of Operations" is the sector in which your unit is deployed. In this case, Herculis Sector.

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2013, 05:08:01 AM »
Quick question:
I have a player who wants to play a synthetic with some medic capability (namely the "Medic!" move).

Issue: the +4 guts of the synthe will outshine the +2 or +3 the medic could have in guts.

Beside talking to the player and telling him it's not funny for the medic player, do you have any other solution ?
Choosing "I'm a doctor, dammit!" may be a good alternative.

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2013, 04:06:37 AM »
Hmmm, yeah. That's a good point. I'll think about a fix for that. In the mean time, it's cool to say that the Medic! move is just for the Medic.

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2013, 02:13:32 PM »
One minor thing you may also correct: replace the +1grit in the advancement of the synthetic.
May be a +1 overload box ?

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2013, 05:21:44 PM »
Yes, good call!

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2013, 03:21:52 AM »
5) The player has full authority over the core directive. It's easier to choose after you know what the mission is. It's cool to talk it out with the group, of course, and choose something everyone thinks is cool (and troublesome!)
OK. sorry, John, I didn't want to misguide anyone.

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2013, 10:43:30 AM »
About the core directive:
I just realised it's part of the character sheet of the synthetic, below the profile section...

Now it totaly makes sense to let the player choose it.

Sorry for my silly 5) question...

Drez

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2013, 11:09:43 AM »
EXTREMELY impressed with the polish and production value. Definitely going to give this a shot (no pun intended)!
All my posts (unless stated otherwise) are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/.

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2013, 07:18:13 PM »
Thanks, Drez!

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2013, 11:32:10 PM »
Hey John, I'm a little confused as to how to represent volume of fire when xenomorphs are attacking. They don't really have ranged attacks and they rely more on stealth and attacking from as many unexpected angles as possible. I'm guessing the VoF is how many xenos are attacking and how close they're potentially able to get?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 12:02:48 AM by Grunto »

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2013, 05:58:33 PM »
I do it like this:

Default VOF is Direct. If they do a rush attack (covering lots of ground to attack and run away again), reduce VOF by 1.

If they pull off an ambush attack, popping out of a wall or whatever, increase VOF by one.

Then increase/reduce VOF due to force parity as usual. So several xenos at once would be +1 (or more).

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2013, 10:39:13 AM »
If you wanted to make the Xeno's beefier, you could also have each one count for multiple enemies – so a fireteam vs. a single warrior is an "even" fight.

I really like this new thing! My excitement for the Regiment is generally disproportionate to the likelihood that I'll convince my local gaming group to play it, but I expect I might have more luck with Aliens than Saving Private Ryan.

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2014, 10:42:23 AM »
I was browsing through the Colonial Marine stuff, and I was looking for something and didn't find it.  What about the Comm-tech?  The guy with the electronic lock-picks and computer slicing equipment?  I know the synthetic could do something similiar, but a comm-tech does more than just the hacking.

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2014, 05:59:12 AM »
I just posted some thoughts in the Synthetics thread, but I had a general observation about wounds that I wanted to relate:

Only my first game of this, but as was, I was disappointed that wounds didn't have more consequence.

I realize you were working on on that from the notes, but it doesn't feel like enough? So for example, I made the fiction work, my Synth got his legs torn off on a crit and wound to the legs. Super cool. But I can still do every move? Like... I want penalties? I realize the GM can point out I don't have legs, and I behaved in the spirit of things in this regard, but I wish there were some additional mechanical ramifications over time for taking more and more damage and or for taking wounds to specific regions. Wounds just make criticals worse as of now, and I'd love for a little more pain there.

silva

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2016, 08:49:15 AM »
My group will play this for the first time and I would like to ask you folks:

1. Any tips or best practices for running the game today ? (Besides the awesome ones already given in this thread ) ?

2. Is there a newer version than 2.5 ? This is the only one I've managed to find.

About the lack of a comma-tech as pointed above, I kinda agree. Though I imagine it would be simply a case of picking the Synthetic hacking move for your Trooper.