1) What is the purpose of Bolden? How do you use him if he is detained aboard the USS Lincoln and has not access to comms or video during the operation? He wants to retrieve the specimens, right? How can he do that? What is the meaning of the +PATRON BONUS?
a) Bolden is high-ranked WY employee, hence he probably has most security codes from the site. I'd actually allow clever players with PATRON to keep him close while having his outside communications jammed (so he can't report problems to WY until he's back on the ship). Though he could be persuaded to give his access codes, I doubt it'd be pretty
b) Bolden is one of very few people around who actually has some idea what's going on inside, so he could give valuable answers to the team (though how to make him give those is whole other story)
How do you use him if he is detained aboard the USS Lincoln
Good question, actually. Though main bonus of this is that he won't interfere with your operation. But I agree that "ok, he's out of the picture, proceed without this problem" is kinda dull. Maybe he could instead
He wants to retrieve the specimens, right? How can he do that?
Well, I suppose he has some sort of sealed container for this purpose. Or it is there for him to pick, in some secret safe with keycode in his brain)
if it's about "When Bolden makes the move to retrieve the specimens" ― I'm not sure. Mainly because it seems that he could do this WAY before marines get on site (as on failed engagement move Phoenix has time not only to intercept the call, but to move onto the location ahead of the marines)
by default I suppose he somehow dials main WY headquarters by some sort of "interplanetary phone", and phoenix intercepts the signal. Only problem I get with it is how they decode the location in this case, if Bolden is not there yet (so nothing to triangulate), and I doubt he just names the exact quadrant during the call...
What is the meaning of the +PATRON BONUS?
In general PATRON means that you have a nice and cozy relationship with your commander, who can help you without risking his skin. In this particular mission it's obvious at first sight, that WY operative who you'd have to nursemaid is a liability, and he chooses to help you by containing this guy on the ship
2) Why the Phoenix agents want the marines involved in this? How this will help them to recover the stolen specimens? My take is this: I understood that Phoenix Industries has no knowledge of the location of laboratories, and they intercepted the Borden's orders to find out the outpost epsilon real placement. (And THAT's why they started the rebellion.) But then, how could the agents start the rebellion if they did not know where the outpost was located?
Phoenix:"secret WY base is on this planet, but WHERE? let's make them go for retrieval, then go right after them, feed them some lead and take everything".
basically it's duck hunt.
3) How does the +INTEL bonus work in game? How does the +MOBILITY bonus work in game? Are just Color?
re-read the mission sheet, it's all there. basically INTEL gives you access to data otherwise unavailable (there's two pieces, I'd say it's either one or the other, player's choice) and mobility gives you ability to insert and extract anywhere on the map instead of fixed location.
4) Are the facility security forces and the phoenix spec ops teams woking together, or just the opposite? Was the confrontation between the facility security forces and the phoenix spec ops teams which caused the breach in the xenomorph containment? If the engagement move is failed, is the containment still intact when the marines arrive? Because the spec ops are just behind the marines.
a) by default security is WY and Phoenix are against WY. Actually, if Phoenix were able to infiltrate the facility they won't need this rebellion in the first place.
Though for WY secrecy probably is too important to allow marines live anyway. but it's debatable and GM/MC's choice
Was the confrontation between the facility security forces and the phoenix spec ops teams which caused the breach in the xenomorph containment?
Not necessarily. It could be players against security people or players against phoenix.
If the engagement move is failed, is the containment still intact when the marines arrive? Because the spec ops are just behind the marines.
on failure phoenix is ahead of the marines, I think
anyway: yes, it's possible, that when marines do the insetion, containment is NOT breached. However it's pretty far inside the compound, so there's a lot of opportunities for this event before you get to the actual containment cell
5) what directive would you give to the synthetic ?
depends on a MC/GM's whim
-Destroy any traces of xenomorf experiments
-Obey orders of specialist Bolden
-Preserve human life (if it's marine synth rather then WY)
-preserve Weyland-Yutani property and interests (always good)
-gather intelligence on X (if X is an officer PC, who has dark history with the WY)