Cold as Ice

• 3 Replies
Cold as Ice
« on: January 06, 2013, 04:16:26 PM »
Yeah, the Vampire move.

It looks like it largely just makes things kinda worse. Any time you shut someone down, you lose an extra string or gain an extra condition, along with the target getting the same. It just seems to make the Vampire's life harder to no significant benefit. I'm going to go ahead and assume I'm missing something, either mechanically or thematically. Someone care to lend a hand on this?

Cheers all ;)

Re: Cold as Ice
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:57:14 PM »
I think this has been discussed elsewhere (or maybe I heard it in an interview), but none of the moves in Monsterhearts really solve anything. They don't resolve problems, only delay them or just end up making them worse. That's kind of the point, as the game is all about petty teenage drama. Only the Growing Up moves end that cycle.

So yeah, the Vampire's Cold as Ice seems like it'd cause more problems. But that's arguably the point. :)
If you see my post in your thread, it'll die within 24 hours. You've been warned.

@HyveMynd on Twitter

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 09:56:31 AM »
The thing you're missing is the vampire MAY choose an option from the 7-9 list. You choose.

So, no, overall it's awesome. You get to choose if you need an extra oomph, but with a cost.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:31:19 PM »
Also, you can choose to both lose a string, even when you don't have one.