Making a skin for a Strange Visitor...

• 1 Replies
Making a skin for a Strange Visitor...
« on: December 14, 2012, 09:33:35 PM »
I’m going to be playing in an MH game soon. Looking at the new Superman trailer and thinking back on the parts of Smallville I liked (mainly, Lex <3 Clark), I thought the Strange Visitor would be an ideal skin. So now I just have to work out the details.

The basic idea is that the Strange Visitor represents an orphan or someone raised apart from their biological parents. Someone who has roots in her life, but feels alienated from them. At the same time, she has a sense of legacy from people she doesn’t know. She could be an adoptee, the new kid, something like that. So, responsibility, legacy, hiding a secret. Classic MH territory.

So here are some possible moves.

I don’t know what you thought you saw...

When you lie to someone about your powers, roll with cold. On a 6-, they're suspicious of you, and get a String on you. On a 7-9, choose one:
- they decide not to tell anyone else.
- they doubt what they already know.
- [other stuff?]

On a 10+, they believe you and will lie for you.

Great Power

When you unleash your powers in front of witnesses, roll with volatile. On a 10+, all three. On a 7-9, choose 2:
- you don't inflict any collateral damage
- no one becomes obsessed with you
- you don't enjoy it a little too much

Made of Steel

When you lash out physically, add +2 to your roll.

Sex Move

When you have sex with someone, your senses become attuned to them. The next time they’re in danger, you know. When that happens, they also gain a String on you.

Darkest Self

Something about turning your back on everyone who needs you? Or following the purpose of the people who sent you to Earth?

This is my first time tinkering with Monsterhearts. What classic bits am I missing? What other source material can I look at? Where should I go from here?

Re: Making a skin for a Strange Visitor...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 08:21:52 PM »
Here's an incomplete draft. I tried modeling it a bit on the Witch.

Powers aren't currently String-fueled, but maybe they should be.

Powers
Pick two powers that you have:
  • Enhanced senses
  • Great strength
  • Incredible speed
  • Heat vision
  • Invulnerability
  • Healing
  • Flight
  • Communicating with animals
  • Telepathy

Powers always work (within reason). The moves determine the consequences of that.

Moves

You get these two moves:

* When you use your powers overtly...
Roll with volatile.
On a 6-, pick one:
  • Somebody gets hurt. This person gets a String on you.
  • There’s serious collateral damage.
On a 7-9, pick one. On a 10+, pick two:
  • No one’s harmed.
  • There’s no collateral damage.
  • No one develops an obsession with you.
  • You gain a String on someone you helped.

* When you use your powers covertly...
Roll with cold.
On a 6-, pick one:
  • You’re noticed by one person; they get a String on you.
  • You’re noticed by multiple people. They don’t get Strings, but rumors spread and you get the Suspicious condition.
On a 7-9, pick one. On a 10+, pick two:
  • There’s no evidence of what you did.
  • You gain an advantage: +1 to a related move.
  • Your meddling has unintended positive consequences.

Choose one more:

* Solitude
You have a secret place you can go to, often in a remote or inhospitable location. This place represents a connection to your alien home. You get +1 when Gazing Into The Abyss when in this sanctuary.

* Urban Legend
A local superstition, maybe about you, maybe not, encourages people to attribute supernatural events to something other than you personally.

* Recent Immigrant
You’re unaccustomed to the local culture, which makes you stand out. However, you’re observant in ways others aren’t. You always carry the Suspicious condition, but when you take a String on another character, you can ask their player a question about the character.

Darkest Self
You’re taken over by the cold, rational philosophies of your alien culture. You act pragmatically and selfishly, the kind of poorly understood Nietzsche/Rand “superman” douchey college students aspire to be.

Turn back when someone needs your help... but doesn’t need your powers.

Sex Move
Your senses become attuned to your partner. The next time they’re in danger, you know. If you fail to take action, they get a String on you.

Stats
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile 1, Dark -1