Player Types (long, long long...)

• 18 Replies
Re: Player Types (long, long long...)
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 06:49:33 PM »
I understand that analysis. A Hocus might bring people positive, optimistic ideas and results, or they might cause chaos, tyranny, destruction, etc. Much like any other playbook. However, your very insightful analysis of the Hocus just now has led me to wonder if the Hocus relates to the idea of Hope, but doesn't, by itself, provide a definitive answer to whether hope is a good or bad thing. Some might assume Hope is always good, but it might also be false hope, or cause pointless violence. Kind of like the whole Bane/Dark Knight Rises speech about how he gave people hope to make their inevitable despair that much stronger. I could be off though. Hope and Meaning/Purpose seem related in my mind, but I guess they are different things, ultimately.
Operator (Cool+2, Hard-1, Hot+1, Sharp+1, Weird=0;Easy to Trust, Eye on the Door;Gigs (Honest Work, Companionship, Surveillance)

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 09:35:51 AM »

Yes, sure -- what I meant was there is nothing particularly optimistic about the Hocus.

It allows, but does not require. I can dig it. :)

- Alex

Arvid

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 04:10:53 PM »
For a more prosaic take on the savvyhead player type; I've seen the savvyhead being picked by players who are new, shy and/or feel in need of control.

Makes sense, seeing as the savvyhead is potentially set up to enjoy solitude and safety in their lair, only seeking others out to trade.

It's a double-edged sword I think: On one hand, it allows the players to feel more comfortable with the game. On the other hand, a savvyhead that plays safe can slow down the game and screw with the principles: It's harder to balance out screen time, trouble and rewards in a way which feels fair when one player isn't playing boldly, ( http://gamingaswomen.com/posts/2012/09/play-boldly-let-yourself-be-vulnerable/ ) and I think playing the other 'books eases one into this mindset more succesfully.

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 05:39:07 PM »
Arvid, that's a very good point. I've actually had the opposite problem with the Savvyhead at times, when that player has chosen an immobile workspace and finds themselves always in the thick of things and rarely able to actually make or fix shit.
Operator (Cool+2, Hard-1, Hot+1, Sharp+1, Weird=0;Easy to Trust, Eye on the Door;Gigs (Honest Work, Companionship, Surveillance)