Improved combat moves

• 35 Replies
Re: Improved combat moves
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2012, 12:18:31 PM »
That was an older version on the rules.   Current version is silent on the subject, as far as I can tell.

Well, in that case, the weapon will give whatever advantage it gives, via its enchantment etc.

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 03:54:04 PM »
Why would you need these moves?

We played the other day and I just used rolls to determine outcome of fiction. Example: Paladin describes tryin to hit a zombie aside with his shield while attcking another with his sword. Rolled an 11 on defy danger with str and a 10  Hack n Slash. According to rolls and fiction a zombie got knocked over and another got slashed.

If this is wrong let me know. Just getting into DW.

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 04:06:09 PM »
Why would you need these moves?

No, I don't think you're doing anything wrong, however, there's a distinct difference between planning on dealing with two zombies and then making those two separate rolls... and planning on dealing with one, and then discovering yourself in a position that allows dealing with two. I just felt the spirit of DW lent itself better to the latter and that's the reason I created these rules.

Also, I wanted more grappling.

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 06:30:46 PM »
Ah ok. I chose 2 rolls because it gives more specific chances of something to go bad. Like Defy to some a zombie and attempt to hack another. Fail on the first maybe it grabs your shield. Choose to keep it and not attack or let go. Fail on hack. Shoved the zombie but the other lunges while you are distracted.

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2013, 06:34:48 PM »
Well, sure. That gives the game a slightly grittier feel. I went pretty much for a swashbuckling theme. If Jack Sparrow slashes one pirate zombies in combat and knocks down the other, he does that with ease and no pre-planning on the moves. All he decides upon is that he'll engage at least one of them. That's the feel I was going for.

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2013, 06:41:37 PM »
Understood.

Just trying to understand how mechanics and changes to them work. Thanks for the insight though.