How to calculate Load?

• 3 Replies
How to calculate Load?
« on: December 30, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »
I have a problem with tag  Load. Load the boat is equal 20 What does that mean? How many characters can enter it? How to calculate the sum of the Load?

Re: How to calculate Load?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »
Well, as an estimate, note that a keg of stout is 4-weight.

A keg (in real life) weighs about 160lbs.
I would also assume an adventurer weighs 140-200lbs (not counting gear)... this is for a human male, of course.

Also, keep in mind load is not just weight, but how awkward/difficult something is to carry. But a boat or whatever is specifically designed to carry people.

So I'd say a "normal" adventurer is about 3-weight (not counting gear). If they're particularly big or heavy, 4-weight. If they're really light, maybe 2-weight.

So a barge can carry about 5 average guys without gear, or maybe 3 with. That sounds roughly - but maybe not perfectly - accurate.

On the other hand, maybe passenger weight isn't meant to come into it, and "load" is just literally how much stuff it can carry (plus however many passengers make sense).

So a donkey + cart would carry 20 load of stuff plus no people, a horse or warhorse would carry 10/12 load of stuff plus one person, and so on.

In this case, you'd need to just eyeball how many actual people can enter a boat.

Anyway, none of this is official, but maybe it helps some...
- Alex

noofy

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 04:01:22 AM »
'Hey [fighter], you know about boats right? What can you tell us all about this fine little vessel in regards to her ability to carry a load without sinking on the rough sea?
'5 to 6 folks including their trappings huh? Sounds like you are spouting lore to me my friend.... Wanna Roll + Int for that?'

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 03:17:22 PM »
I like both solutions. Thanks:)