Experience on a miss

• 22 Replies
Re: Experience on a miss
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 11:22:30 AM »
I just downloaded it and I definitely see text in there on marking XP on a miss. Page 17 of the pdf.

Hrrrm. You are dead on the money there - I must have mixed up my pdfs. Time to purge my DW download folder and start afresh. Thanks :)

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 06:54:52 PM »
I just want to add a note that the behaviour this brings out in some players is really funny: I play with my cousins (ages 12 through 16) and the youngest was looking at the XP bar near the end of the session going "I need to make more moves so that I can fail some of them…"

Scrape

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »
Yeah, it totally encourages playing outside your comfort zone and trying crazy stuff despite the odds. Totally perfect for the genre.

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 03:29:44 AM »
Anyone think including highlighting stats like in AW would break the game any? I did add this in unintentionally to my recent DW playtest session abd so far so good.  i am just thinking that it would allow even those succesful players to get some experience, assuming they roll a highlighted stat and would avoid the failing players being the only ones to progress.  Appreciate we learn more by our mistakes but we do also sometimes learn by our successes.

thoughts?

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 04:23:07 AM »
DW operated on highlighted stats in the first iteration. It wont break anything. Good discussion on it here, with a link to even more discussion:
 http://anarchangel23.livejournal.com/437462.html

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »
Anyone think including highlighting stats like in AW would break the game any? I did add this in unintentionally to my recent DW playtest session abd so far so good.  i am just thinking that it would allow even those succesful players to get some experience, assuming they roll a highlighted stat and would avoid the failing players being the only ones to progress.  Appreciate we learn more by our mistakes but we do also sometimes learn by our successes.

thoughts?

Highlighted stats used to be the way that people gained XP in Dungeon World, but we trashed it as a system because, honestly, it was pretty bad.  People would end up with STR highlighted and just look for excuses to hack and slash everything.  It drove play into a weird space we didn't really like. 

But then, if your group responds well to it, try it out!  Maybe it'll work out for you!  It definitely won't break anything, mechanically.

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 02:06:48 PM »
DW operated on highlighted stats in the first iteration. It wont break anything. Good discussion on it here, with a link to even more discussion:
 http://anarchangel23.livejournal.com/437462.html

Interesting discussions,  definitely gave me food for thought.

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 02:07:57 PM »

thoughts?

Highlighted stats used to be the way that people gained XP in Dungeon World, but we trashed it as a system because, honestly, it was pretty bad.  People would end up with STR highlighted and just look for excuses to hack and slash everything.  It drove play into a weird space we didn't really like. 

But then, if your group responds well to it, try it out!  Maybe it'll work out for you!  It definitely won't break anything, mechanically.

My game currently is a kind of playtest to see if I can run it competently and whether the players enjoy it.  So I will see how highlighted stats go and if they prove to be troublesome then I will ditch them.

Thanks for the advice guys.